User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bryhhh
(regular) Fri 06-Jan-12 21:04:59
Print Post

Just requested MAC code, and connection has gone terrible

[link to this post]

I've politely (and reluctantly) requested my MAC code from Plusnet at the new year, as I'm moving to another provider that have just put some LLU equipment into my local telephone exchange.

Strangely, my connection has just gone terrible at peak evening times. My modem still syncs at the same speed (12663 kbps / 1120 kbps), and it has worked fine for many months without the slightest problem.

Speedtest.net normally reports around 9mbps/0.9mbps, but today is reporting 0.22mbps/0.24mbps. Interestingly despite these slow speeds, the BT wholesale speed tester (http://speedtester.bt.com/beta/) is reporting an average of 9.5mbps, as though nothing is wrong!

So I'm assuming that either:

1. Plus net have put me on a naughty list whilst on notice with them before my service migrate to the new provider within the next 10 days or so.
2. I've just had a lucky escape, as their service suddenly taken a nose dive.

I've been a very happy plusnet customer and would certainly have recommended them to anyone, but I have my suspicions about what is going on, and currently have no desire to ever recommend them again.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation when migrating away from Plusnet?

p.s. I'm not in any of the problem areas currently detailed in the service status pages at plusnet.
p.p.s. Ignore the speed tests below in my sig, as my exchange moved to 21CN in september last year and I haven't yet updated my sig.

My Broadband Speed Test My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bryhhh
(regular) Sun 08-Jan-12 23:00:42
Print Post

Re: Just requested MAC code, and connection has gone terribl

[re: bryhhh] [link to this post]

Forgot to mention. I've used 42/60Gb for the month, which resets on 10/01/2012, and I've never gone over the limit in the months I've been with them. I very rarely use p2p, so I shouldn't be in the naughty corner if that's what is going on.

Connection is still pants (sig updated), yet BT Wholesale speed tester is still averaging over 9.5Mbps.

I'd like to hear some feedback regarding this from the plusnet staff that frequent this forum.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Jan-12 23:24:51
Print Post

Have you rebooted the router since the speed dropped, and have you checked the Current line rate in your control centre?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bryhhh
(regular) Sun 08-Jan-12 23:47:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Have you rebooted the router since the speed dropped, and have you checked the Current line rate in your control centre?

Yes, I've rebooted the router (once), just in case, but it didn't make any difference. I don't think it is down to the router, as the BTW checker would also give the same slow speed.

As for the line rate in the control centre, it reports 10.2mbps.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Jan-12 00:37:55
Print Post

Pass frown.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jan-12 10:25:32
Print Post

If the 60GB is paid for usage you have hit the usage limit and are now being throttled to death
At least it is only for today
Standard User bryhhh
(regular) Mon 09-Jan-12 10:31:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Plusnet have responded to a support ticket stating that they don't imposed any throttling as a result of migrating service away from them, which is good to hear, but as my service is due to switch over in the next two or three days, I'll probably just live with it.

Standard User bryhhh
(regular) Mon 09-Jan-12 10:32:59
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
If the 60GB is paid for usage you have hit the usage limit and are now being throttled to death
At least it is only for today

Nope, it was 42Gb/60Gb when I checked yesterday.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 09-Jan-12 11:02:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by bryhhh:
Plusnet have responded to a support ticket stating that they don't imposed any throttling as a result of migrating service away from them
They would get into a heck of a lot of trouble if they did!

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Jan-12 14:36:38
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
In reply to a post by bryhhh:
Plusnet have responded to a support ticket stating that they don't imposed any throttling as a result of migrating service away from them
They would get into a heck of a lot of trouble if they did!
tongue
Yes - the watchdog would look out of its window at the Thames and say "Oh dear, I wish people would let me sleep".

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to