User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rjsetford
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Jan-12 09:50:20
Print Post

Plusnet Pro - Is it worth it

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I guess this is aimed at any PlusNet Pro users. I've had an offer email to upgrade my account to Pro for an extra £5pcm.

I do a bit of VPN'ing from home and TS, don't really play games but do tend to stream quite a bit from the web.

Based on the above, is it worth upgrading? I do notice a bit of a slow down at peak times but nothing horrendous.

Any thoughts and comments would be very welcome.

Rich
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Jan-12 10:02:34
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Pro - Is it worth it

[re: rjsetford] [link to this post]

When you put it on it is immediate and it's only a 1 month minimum contract period so why not try it to see if it helps? What it will do for you will really depend on your individual usage pattern.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User mikecrawford80
(regular) Fri 13-Jan-12 10:56:38
Print Post

I signed up with Plusnet in May last year, was originally on Value with no pro add-on. I added pro after 1 month, only reason for it was the p2p throttling. I never saw any adverse effect on other protocols, but then I only really used Browsing and VPN.

Since then, my profile has changed a bit to also do a bit more streaming and online gaming (with Onlive (bandwidth hog that it is)).

£5 a month is not to bad for a near line speed connection (please remember that some protocols are still "managed" under pro). If I really wanted to I could drop Pro and just schedule my p2p stuff to only take place from 00:00 to 08:00, when it would not eat my usage allowance, and would download at line speed (or at least it would between 01:00 and 07:00).

Plusnet Extra Fibre (with PRO add-on)
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Fri 13-Jan-12 16:26:14
Print Post

Ask for a months free trial.
If happy costs you a extra fiver, in not you lost nothing.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User hitachi
(experienced) Sat 14-Jan-12 10:27:56
Print Post

I am on plusnet extra with the pro bolt on,I have found usenet will download at 1.9 MB/s at any time of the day I have tried.
  Print Thread

Jump to