User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zipner
(newbie) Sun 15-Jan-12 14:42:47
Print Post

Data cap cost warning

[link to this post]

I switched from Bethere to Plusnet to get FTTC. Using copper we were only ever going to get 3Mb/sec and Bethere which at the time of switching could not supply FTTC. Our problem has been the data cap. I did check Bethere to find out what our useage but they don't keep records so I was unaware of how much our use was. Now we are having to pay for 120MB per month, over Christmas we got up to 127MB, costing us an extra £10. My warning is that if like us you are a heavy iPlayer and web user you could see your monthly internet bill double if you are coming from an uncapped service.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 15-Jan-12 15:15:01
Print Post

Re: Data cap cost warning

[re: Zipner] [link to this post]

I went from BE Unlimited to BT Infinity Option 2 - unlimited, for the same reason.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Jan-12 15:17:54
Print Post

Was/is there nothing you could schedule into the unlimited overnight period?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 15-Jan-12 19:32:53
Print Post

Clearly you mean GB, not MB, but I am very surprised you had no idea what your previous usage was. As of last month I have an iPlayer-enabled set top box (well, two of them as of yesterday as they're only £20!) and an Internet radio and this month I should just squeeze in under the 40GB limit for Value Fibre but I will probably upgrade to 120GB before next month so that I'm not watching it all the time. I think that will do me for quite a while! If I'm doing any big downloads, I try to do them after midnight, which obviously helps. I have two children who are frequently on Youtube, etc., so I don't think my usage is particularly low.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Sun 15-Jan-12 20:39:45
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Could I ask which set top boxes these are? I'm discussing iPlaver on the TV in the Video forum at the moment. Without children (at home) barely use 5Gb a month!
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 15-Jan-12 21:35:40
Print Post

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meldrew:
Could I ask which set top boxes these are? I'm discussing iPlaver on the TV in the Video forum at the moment. Without children (at home) barely use 5Gb a month!
These.

They are quite brilliant, arrive 24 hours after ordering and appear as new. Complete with Freeview HD. The one snag is that, as shipped, the software does not include access to iPlayer, I am running a beta version of the software that does, but beta testers are not allowed to repost it, you have to request it on the Channel Zero feedback page. The updated software is expected to be made available over the air shortly.

There is a thread on the Digital Spy forum about them here. It's the IS version you need for iPlayer (and later, hopefully 4OD and other services), as on the eBay link.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Sun 15-Jan-12 21:37:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jan-12 23:42:27
Print Post

Plusnet does have traffic meters, so a weekly check to see how you are doing would be wise, and cutting back on the biggest users - which will be streamed video if getting close to the limits

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-12 09:56:55
Print Post

Thanks for that. I need to upgrade my aerial for Freeview as I mainly use satellite. Some useful stuff on digitalspy too.

Meldrew
Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 16-Jan-12 13:45:55
Print Post

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meldrew:
Thanks for that. I need to upgrade my aerial for Freeview as I mainly use satellite. Some useful stuff on digitalspy too.

Meldrew
Out of interest, do you know you need to upgrade your aerial for Freeview? Most people don't need to.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Jan-12 09:36:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
Most people don't need to.
Still using aerial from 22 years ago without any problems smile