User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cram
(newbie) Mon 16-Jan-12 23:50:55
Print Post

Requesting a MAC code

[link to this post]

Is there any reason why it takes Plusnet 5 days to issue a MAC code when most other ISPs will do it instantly over the phone or within 24 hours? I don't see the point in making me wait 5 days when the code can be generated in real time. It's not going to push me into the next billing cycle so they aren't going to make any more money by making me wait for it. Yet it might make me think twice about returning to Plusnet in future.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 00:11:49
Print Post

Re: Requesting a MAC code

[re: cram] [link to this post]

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4078441-o...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Tue 17-Jan-12 00:25:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

'Bad awkward Broadband from Plusnet' - No wonder they need to advertise so heavily.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2027/plusnetspeed.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 00:53:26
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

A bit unfair.

The broadband seems reasonably good. Some of the senior management attitudes look less so, and it can't be easy for the reps on this forum being stuck between them and us.

But the Plusnet MAC procedure is simply disgusting. I think the other thread covers it fairly exhaustively though, including the solution smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Tue 17-Jan-12 02:10:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A bit unfair.

The broadband seems reasonably good. Some of the senior management attitudes look less so, and it can't be easy for the reps on this forum being stuck between them and us.

But the Plusnet MAC procedure is simply disgusting. I think the other thread covers it fairly exhaustively though, including the solution smile.

Personally I think the reps on here from PN are a good bunch, but they must cringe when this topic is broached.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User cram
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-12 09:21:39
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

Plusnet / Chris Parr: Plesae can you expedite my MAC code! I have already considered the options given by the Customer Options Team but I have decided to leave and won't be changing my mind, no matter how many days you deliberately make me wait for my MAC code. Please can you update ticket # 50954884 with my MAC code today.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Wed 18-Jan-12 09:11:18
Print Post

[re: cram] [link to this post]

Hi cram,

I'm sorry for the delay in replying, I've updated the ticket for you as requested.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 18-Jan-12 09:48:22
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Hi Matthew

I f you have any influence with the powers-that-be, perhaps you might suggest that Plusnet is shooting itself in the foot a bit with this policy. I think I can cope with the idea that you have to telephone, so that Plusnet can see if there is anything that can be done to retain the custom, especially if it can be done on a telephone number that doesn't cost an extortionate amount of money but, having done this, to then make the (probably soon-to-be former) customer wait another 5 days for the MAC (unless they complain on a forum) seems particularly counter-productive.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jan-12 10:03:55
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I can quite understand that when a MAC is requested PN will want to see if they can resolve issues, suggest a more appropriate account type, make a retentions offer.

But if that fails to change a users mind surely the next hope is that the user finds that the grass is not actually any greener on the other side. If their last memory of Plusnet is a bad taste caused by having to wait 5 days for their MAC (for no reason other than the fact that the OFCOM rules allow them to do so), the last option they will consider is returning to Plusnet!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Jan-12 10:31:54
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I cant see any legitimacy in this 5 day wait. Any migrations I have handled were at the point where there was "No Way Back", either because of throttling or caps etc, when a customer calls and says "MAC please I am determined to leave", then there is no legitimate excuse for an ISP to stall it until the last possible moment, and this would seem to be in some ways an abuse of the system, its one thing where technical issues delay the issuance of a MAC. The customer is free to use the MAC or take up any retention offer made at the point of request - BUT I would say the requirement should be for a prompt compliance with the customer request.

I wish I had known this was deliberate policy recently when I helped a friend migrate, I would have been on the case much more than I was. It is something I think OFCOM should look at and maybe issue some clarification about the 5 working day limit being an absolute time limit, not a period in which the ISP can play silly games and antagonize those wishing to exercise their right to migrate. Maybe a few calls to OFCOM to highlight what may be a deliberate abuse of the time limit?

Plusnet - added to the list of companies to avoid!

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to