User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 12:48:43
Print Post

Moving from O2 to Plusnet

[link to this post]

A friend is thinking about moving from O2 to PN. At the moment they have phone and BB, full LLU, in a Market 3 area. The O2 BB is one of the newer contracts with 20GB/month, not one of the older unlimited ones. The low cost 10GB/month from PN would probably cover their requirements. I think they are outside any long contract period from O2 but would need to check..

Would there be any unexpected charges or problems in changing both phone and net from O2 to PN?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Jan-12 12:58:50
Print Post

Re: Moving from O2 to Plusnet

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

You might confuse anyone answering. O2 Phone and Broadband is not "Full LLU". It is WLR on the line, (ie it is still a BT line), so easy for another supplier to take it over.

O2 don't allow their lines to be used for another supplier's broadband, but I believe there is a grace period to move it if the broadband is migrated first.

That might be the way PN would do it, but it would be better I think if PN first took the line then migrated the broadband. Whether their systems allow that is a different question. Hopefully someone will know the answer to that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jan-12 12:58:55
Print Post

Have highlighted your question on the PN Community forum here

Dennisplusnet value & talkanytime My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 13:03:55
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

Roberto, thanks for the explanation. I thought that TT, Sky and O2 all did LLU but I'm mistaken.

I would hope that Plusnet would understand the nature of the migration and get it right.
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Fri 27-Jan-12 14:27:17
Print Post

Hi there,

I can confirm that you should be able to transfer both phone and broadband over to us without charge.

The way we would do this is to migrate the broadband over first then transfer the line, do bear in mind that means you'd need to obtain a MAC key from 02.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(member) Fri 27-Jan-12 14:34:03
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

Adam, thanks for letting me know that the process is so simple. I understand the need for a MAC as that's a routine requirement for almost all BB migrations. All I was worried about was the possible costs/problems about dealing with a line which wasn't "owned" by BT in some way.
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:34:20
Print Post

No problem, transfers are free. The only circumstance in which we'd usually need to levy a charge for activating a phone service is if a new line needs to be installed.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bcma
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:12:27
Print Post

I moved from O2 (Access package) to Plusnet in September last year, mainly as a result of advice given on this site - see link here.

I also had my phone with O2 so I was transferring both BB and phone. All went smoothly - the BB transferred first and the phone line a couple of weeks later. As I said there were no problems with the transfer - there was a bit of a hiccup with O2's invoicing afterwards (like billing me for a month after the transfer had happened) but one phone call to O2 customer services put that right and the money was refunded very quickly. To be fair to them I've always found O2 customer services very helpful.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-12 20:31:10
Print Post

Yes they all do LLU, but there are two flavours

Full LLU - TalkTalk and Sky
Partial LLU (shared LLU) - O2

On the partial the phone line remains on BT Wholesale kit, so can be shuffled around easily, and without affecting the broadband

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 28-Jan-12 12:32:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is worth pointing out that some of us with Sky are actually on partial LLU. However I do understand that new customers are full LLU.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to