User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jan-12 18:03:35
Print Post

Static IP address

[link to this post]

I see in the support pages that a static IP address is available on many packages. Plusnet Value being an exclusion.

What about Value Fibre?

Is it just a on-off charge of £5, or is there an ongoing add-on price? It appears to be just a one-off and no change to the package price.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jan-12 18:21:29
Print Post

Re: Static IP address

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

it is a one off charge only and I don't think it is available on Value Fibre although that isn't specifically documented as far as i know
Standard User mikecrawford80
(member) Mon 30-Jan-12 12:35:20
Print Post

RobertoS, it's not there as an add-on option on Value Fibre. It only appeared for me when I changed to Extra.

Plusnet Extra Fibre (with PRO add-on)
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Jan-12 13:23:05
Print Post

[re: mikecrawford80] [link to this post]

Thanks. Pity.

On Value Fibre, which unless you turn the modem off is always on, presumably the dynamic one only changes with power cuts, so perhaps not too important. Or is it sticky anyway?

tbb QM being the issue.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Jan-12 13:48:16
Print Post

you'd need to not turn the router off as well as the modem as the IP address is assigned to your router by the ISP, not to the modem
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Jan-12 13:57:06
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
you'd need to not turn the router off as well as the modem as the IP address is assigned to your router by the ISP, not to the modem
Smacks head!

Only just on my first cup of coffee of the day now. And I rarely turn that off, (the router!), either. My head is frequently off, as you can see.

But is it sticky anyway?

Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Mon 30-Jan-12 14:11:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Thanks. Pity.

On Value Fibre, which unless you turn the modem off is always on, presumably the dynamic one only changes with power cuts, so perhaps not too important. Or is it sticky anyway?

tbb QM being the issue.

In my experience Plusnet IP address are VERY non sticky, they change every 48 hrs or so.

It's a pain, because I've just migrated my parents over to Plusnet Value, and set up DynDNS, but that's still useless, because their router (Netgear 834) only refreshes the DynDNS entry on reboots !

My mother in law's Cisco is fine, DynDNS refreshes within seconds.

However, in neither case can I use the TB BQM sensibly of course

Oh well, live and learn !
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Jan-12 14:18:37
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

They keep changing at lease renewal? No resync needed?

That almost sounds like the lease renewal setup in the router is wrong or failing. The one I know most about was O2, where it was a 12-hour lease renewed every 6 hours. So it got two chances to succeed.

There was a problem there though with some Netgear firmwares, not doing it. I forget the detail, but a fix came out from someone.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Mon 30-Jan-12 14:43:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They keep changing at lease renewal? No resync needed?

That almost sounds like the lease renewal setup in the router is wrong or failing. The one I know most about was O2, where it was a 12-hour lease renewed every 6 hours. So it got two chances to succeed.

There was a problem there though with some Netgear firmwares, not doing it. I forget the detail, but a fix came out from someone.

Well, my parents have only been on Plusnet since Friday morning. There was an IP change at noon on Saturday, the router did not reboot.

Mother in Law has been with them for 5 months, her IP normally changes every 48 hours or so, though sometimes she can go a fortnight. No router reboots involved.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Jan-12 15:11:07
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

I think that the IP can change when there is a PPP drop and this can occur when Plusnet apply an updated profile

Edited by Oldjim (Mon 30-Jan-12 15:11:30)

Print Thread

Jump to