User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 14:34:45
Print Post

FTTC speeds on full sync

[link to this post]

What sort of speeds are people connecting at the full 40/2 on fibre getting please? 2/2/12s apart tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-12 16:11:04
Print Post

Re: FTTC speeds on full sync

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think you already know mine but sig gives results of test just done (just over 33 meg). Other testers (except BT) give from 1-2Mb higher. It should be higher, and has been in the past, I used to get over 36 on TBB and I don't know where the missing megs have gone! I'm still on maximum sync/profile and the maximum Plusnet profile of "37Mb"

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User ffox
(committed) Fri 03-Feb-12 19:23:39
Print Post

I'm averaging 34.7 Mbps down, 1.68 Mbps up (Speedtest.net).

Plusnet Value Fibre, Netgear WNR 1000, St Ives Cambs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-12 01:49:21
Print Post

Not sure what the 2/2/12s part means, still...

I have a 40/10 sync. That's the easy part...

On downstream I get speeds (at speedtest.net) of either 35Mbps or 37.5Mbps, depending on the PPP session. After connecting, either a new PPP session because of a new sync (possibly forced by DLM) at the modem OR a new session at the router only, speeds are one or the other - until the next session. This is very consistent (bar traffic management impact). Plusnet know, and are semi-interested, but don't know why. The fast sessions are, predictably, rarer.

We moved from Surrey to Yorkshire recently, and have experienced the same thing in both locations.

Downstream slows to 22-24Mbps during the TM control period of 1800-2300. This is the same whether I have a fast session or a slow session.

On upstream, I used to get speeds (at speedtest.net) of 8.2Mbps, but once I switched off the QoS queue in the modem, i get 8.8Mbps or so. No slowdowns.

Best speedtest server (picked off the map) seems to be Vodafone in Newbury.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 05-Feb-12 02:01:02
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

The '2/2/12s ' refers to those affected by the Plusnet problems of said date.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-12 06:31:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
On downstream I get speeds (at speedtest.net) of either 35Mbps or 37.5Mbps, depending on the PPP session. After connecting, either a new PPP session because of a new sync (possibly forced by DLM) at the modem OR a new session at the router only, speeds are one or the other - until the next session. This is very consistent (bar traffic management impact). Plusnet know, and are semi-interested, but don't know why. The fast sessions are, predictably, rarer.

I've seen you write this before - I haven't had 37Mb+ for many months. I had a quick look in the Community Forum for any recent reports of this phenomenon but couldn't find any. What kind of "semi-interested" response have you had?

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 05-Feb-12 08:33:15
Print Post

Thanks smile.

I gather that's the 40/10 trial. Can you remember if download was as good on 40/2? I'm wondering if something in the settings for your line could be giving a "Line speed" of the full 38717, (maybe 38700 there), sometimes reverting to the 40/2 setting of 37Mbps after the re-syncs/new seessions you mention. That would account for the difference, and the new PPP going back to the trial settings.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 05-Feb-12 08:44:00
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I've seen you write this before - I haven't had 37Mb+ for many months. I had a quick look in the Community Forum for any recent reports of this phenomenon but couldn't find any. What kind of "semi-interested" response have you had?
See my suggestion in my reply just now to WWWombat.

Were you possibly on the 40/2 trial before main rollout, and the 37Mbps line speed wasn't in force? That could account for it falling for you. Or are you on 40/10 as well?

I wonder if the 37Mbps setting started as a simple typo by someone and should be 38Mbps, or even (to work the same as the ADSL2+ one) 38700kbps, and no-one has tracked back to the reason for the setting and sorted it out.

They must be able to support the speed if you used to get it, and so far as I know all other ISPs do.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-12 09:20:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Were you possibly on the 40/2 trial before main rollout, and the 37Mbps line speed wasn't in force? That could account for it falling for you. Or are you on 40/10 as well?

No, I've always been on 40/2 and was not on any trials.
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I wonder if the 37Mbps setting started as a simple typo by someone and should be 38Mbps, or even (to work the same as the ADSL2+ one) 38700kbps, and no-one has tracked back to the reason for the setting and sorted it out.

Plusnet explained the 37Mb as "corresponding" to the full 40Mb, implying that it would not restrict speed, but it is a strange number to use. They even set mine to 99Mb briefly when I first got connected, I've got the correspondence somewhere, but it didn't stick. I did wonder whether 37Mb was really 37*1024*1024 bps, i.e. 38797312 but that's probably clutching at straws.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 05-Feb-12 09:29:41
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Well we all know that the IP Profile is 38717, and that on ADSL2+ with the new WBC DLM PN now set the line speed to the "100" below, so I think it's a simple error and no-one in the system has the clout to challenge it.

Your suggestion is plausible, but gives a figure above the BT one, which would be incorrect. Pointless even.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to