User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scottme
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:56:32
Print Post

Switching tariff

[link to this post]

I have been with PlusNet for a couple of years on the now-defunct PlusNet Premium tariff, costing me £19.99 a month for up to 80GB. This is on a rural exchange, BTW only, and non-21CN. Under the circumstances I get a reasonable speed (4-5Mbps down, 0.3 up). I'm satisfied with the service and have no reason to believe any other available ISP would have a better offer for me.

However, I often check my usage and I hardly ever use much over 40GB, so I'm contemplating switching to the PlusNet Extra offering, which would cost me only £11.49 a month and has a 60GB limit.

Before I do so, does anyone know of any obvious or hidden downsides of such a move?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:03:50
Print Post

Re: Switching tariff

[re: scottme] [link to this post]

Not quite correct.

I can't find where it is at the moment, it seesm to have moved, but if you look closer at the price balloon it says "From".

On a Market 1 exchange I think it is 3 or 4 months at that price then you get charged more. That's what I can't find. Edit - see next post.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 10-Feb-12 14:22:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:05:32
Print Post

Bottom of the Home Page, "Pricing"

Plusnet Extra: If you live in a low cost area it costs £11.49 a month. If you live outside one of these areas it costs £11.49 a month for the first three months, then £15.79 or £17.99 a month depending on where you live. See how we compare on price in your area.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:18:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That isn't quite right https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/l...
For domestic products Market 2 and 3 are low cost areas so the intermediate price is no longer valid
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:21:32
Print Post

Market 1 PN Extra £17.99. Add line, anytime calls and caller display and I am barely £2 per week less than BT unlimited BB & Calls, which is hardly worth the hassle of sitting up half the night to stay within limits.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2027/plusnetspeed.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 13:48:05
Print Post

Check out your current rpoduct versus your planned product:

http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php

If market 1, you'll save a couple of quid a month. Several if market 2. You can use samknows to see which market your exchange is (but if you say BT only, guess it's market 1).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 14:14:18
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
That isn't quite right https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/l...
For domestic products Market 2 and 3 are low cost areas so the intermediate price is no longer valid
That's what I thought, but I was in a rush so having found that it was enough to alert the OP. Especially as I concluded he would be M1.

Standard User scottme
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 15:00:32
Print Post

Thanks for the comments. I went through the PlusNet website "upgrade" route and it quoted me £11.49 a month as the rate for PlusNet Extra (not "from £11.49"), so to double check, I called them.

The nice young man I spoke to was positive that £11.49 would be my long-term price for the Extra service (not an introductory price, not any kind of special offer), so I gave him the go ahead to switch me. He said something about my exchange (THTG) being reclassified as lower cost. Samknows says it's in Market 2, which is news to me. But I will henceforth be saving £8.50 a month for what to all intents and purposes is the same service.

PlusNet FTW!
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-12 15:12:50
Print Post

Plusnet say it's Market 2 as well so you seem to have got a good deal wink

Dennis plusnet value & talkanytime My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 15:57:06
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

Perhaps it used to have Orange, and OfCom only update classifications now and then.

Be interesting if they downgrade it next time tongue.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to