User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Damoxuk
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 20:15:16
Print Post

FTTC Router Questions re. Access Wi-Fi/ Data Ext Cables etc

[link to this post]

Hi i'm soooo very close to moving from Zen (Broadband) as my Talk Talk 12 m contract is up v soon.

But I want to know some questions.

1) Regarding Data Extension Cable - My Master Socket is located in the Living Room/Window but my PC is located in a back ground floor bedroom with 2 door's inbetween, bascally is the data extension purely external cable across say skirting boards? If so not sure if BT Engineers can go past door's (i.e drilling holes).
Or can it also be done internally from the master socket to another faceplate in the home? (i.e my bedroom)
Reason is i'd rather have router connected to my main PC via ethernet.

2) Now here's the other thing if I can't have the router at my designated place how much degradation in speed will there be through 2 walls (not very thick walls)?
If I install the router in the living room will I be able to access the wi-fi router easily via a wireless receiver on my PC? (Pref N wireless)
Like will I be able to change Wireless settings/passwords etc via wireless? Only ever had my router connected via ethernet and not had much experience with wi-fi access apart from home console access.

Sorry for the ramblings but I just want to be 100% sure before committing to this change - been with Zen for aeons so this is a big change laugh

Thanks for any advice.

Damian
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Fri 10-Feb-12 21:28:31
Print Post

Re: FTTC Router Questions re. Access Wi-Fi/ Data Ext Cables

[re: Damoxuk] [link to this post]

Looks like they do. Guessing modem stays by master socket mounted on the wall by there and a mains socket, data extension is an ethernet cable to the router in the back bedroom. Might be wrong but what I got out of it.

I do wireless and full speed of 40Mbs, about 37.5 really but that is tops I think and ok but not that far and so good signal. I would do the wired way if you can.

Passwords and things can be anything you want.

This is a good one and might help.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/4091173-thinking...

They might even move the master socket but see what others say. not sure if that is part of the deal when the internet service is set up by the person on the day.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Fri 10-Feb-12 21:34:48
Print Post

Had a thought, leave it where it all is if better for WIFI in that room, for laptops, phones and tablets is have.

Use this from 1 of the ports on the router to a home plug and the other 1 in the bedroom by the computer, money spent but no change to what you have set up then in the way of phone wiring.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=home+plu...

I have the 5th choice down, value 200mbs, works ok but some say 200mbs are not fast enough, wiring of the mains cabling , noise might make other peoples no good. allright for me.

thing 500Mbs exist so then must be good even when up to 80 in the future.
I will stick with the current £18 on Bt and 40Mbs, not getting more money from me!, tight old git.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 21:35:07
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
Looks like they do. Guessing modem stays by master socket mounted on the wall by there and a mains socket, data extension is an ethernet cable to the router in the back bedroom. Might be wrong but what I got out of it.
Yes, you guess wrong.

The data extension cable is to allow the modem to be up to 30m from the master socket.

It is not ethernet cable. (I think in fact it may be usable for ethernet, given different plugs at each end. It certainly isn't standard CAT5 as we know it).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Fri 10-Feb-12 21:40:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Did wander reading the other things, phone extension sort of then.

Had the idea of home plugs, money spent but no messing around. They work for me and like you said yesterday on something 200 version maybe not but goes for me.

Leave this to you then.

Not the FTTC person, you know so off back to the telly

I let the bloke do the filter on the socket thing, get the 2 bits working and we did a speeedtest twice, first was 25Mbs, guess you can think what I said as green box out on the road around the corner, did again and 38 or 37. Happy then. Full spped like you an unlocked modem says 67 max so maybe one day when cheep enough.
Standard User Damoxuk
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 23:37:06
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Hmm I never even thought about Homeplug's as never used them.

That's the thing what transfer data down the electric cable to another homeplug right?

Mightd have to invest in one if the engineer can't relocate the master socket / or be able to drill holes to make the extension cable to where I want it.

Nice backup plan.. or I can just get a Wireless N Adapter for my pc.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 05:10:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Damoxuk:
bascally is the data extension purely external cable across say skirting boards? If so not sure if BT Engineers can go past door's (i.e drilling holes).
Or can it also be done internally from the master socket to another faceplate in the home? (i.e my bedroom)

I've heard of both being done. That is:
- A data extension cable routed along skirting boards, with holes drilled in the wall where needed. One recently where the homeowner didn't have a drill quite long enough to get through the wall himself, and the engineer finished the drilling off.
- A spare pair used in the existing internal cable to take BT's line from the first socket (existing master) to a later socket, which then becomes the master. The other pairs in the cable then act as the extension wiring, taking the voice signal back to the original socket, which now becomes an extension. They'll probably only do this if the extensions are wired in a linear way, not a star.

Also, the latter has been done when the internal cable has 3 pairs; I'm not sure it has been done with 2 pairs.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Sat 11-Feb-12 08:40:51
Print Post

This sort of thing. If connecting at good speed then still get the full 40Mb if you are lucky to get that, debends on where your phone line goes back to on the green cabnet. Mine is not that far and is good.

I use a laptop and with wireless N, good. The old skool wirless g if you had that in laptop (know you have not) then does not work, read this I got no response from and might have been wrong in what I said by not with sisters machine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-N-WiFi-PCI-ADAPTE...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7711IN-150Mbps-Wir...

good for extenal ariel are amazon.

Might be better than having the antennas behind the computer.

I got one of these on the way for use in the car of the secondhand notebook fro dad on holiday using wifi ( signed upto weeks ago in the car pARK and struggled) mcdonalds car parks so he can get better signal in the car and use the 10 inch thing and do a bit of email and internet.

I do on the phone with contract so getting for him.

Just found a dongle in england for same money so not happy, china hong kong not alway s the best but the antenna, cant moan, dirt cheap!.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&...

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/4088667-s...

OK MHC answered as well, no responce to either of us!.

Wirel N is good, see my sppedtests forcing computer dont to g standard
  Print Thread

Jump to