User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 06:15:11
Print Post

Why don't firms read what is sent to them?

[link to this post]

Had a loss of ADSL after three days with Plusnet and initial dealings were very good. smile Should have known it wouldn't last. frown Got an email directing me to a ticket which I didn't understand. Typed a reply. No real answer to questions raised but was directed to a URL which said "Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account. To raise any queries and to upgrade your account, please use the Contact Us tool here at the Portal". frown

Another day and no Internet again. Router shows connected but apparently it's not talking to Plusnet. frown Perhaps it's the other way round or Plusnet are giving it the same treatment they are giving me? smile

Maybe moving from cable wasn't such a good idea? frown

---
Keef- Dartford Kent UK - Plusnet
My Broadband Speed Test
Previously - Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream,
Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-12 10:21:35
Print Post

Re: Why don't firms read what is sent to them?

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account
Maybe you need a deposit account. (Think of other words for "deposit").

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 11:25:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Maybe you need a deposit account.

LOL!

It's a pity because things started out soo well. frown

---
My Broadband Speed Test
===========

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sat 11-Feb-12 12:33:43
Print Post

Exactly what I get with PN, every so often all throughput stops despite the Billion 7800n & Routerstats stating a 15mb connection, with a router restart the only cure.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2027/plusnetspeed.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 14:22:49
Print Post

Have you found Plusnet's community forum? The team on there will usually be able to help you over problems like that. They do come over here too, but (obviously) spend more time answering queries on the local forum.

If you are wanting to take a hand in sorting out your own problem, then posting a description and some router statistics (onto here, or over there) will usually get helpful suggestions from other members of the community.

If you want a more hands-off approach, and want to avoid the technology, then posting over in the PN forum can act as a way to help highlight the problem you have with the tickets.

Whatever you do, don't assume you can't get any help!
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 15:29:11
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by m0aur:
Exactly what I get with PN,

Frustrating, isn't it? frown

---
My Broadband Speed Test
===========
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 15:38:55
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Whatever you do, don't assume you can't get any help!

Thanks for that. smile

It's not so much a case of not being able to get help. More an example of the right person to help really. wink

I understand ADSL can be a bit flaky compared with cable, but when I got the first three days without problems, I thought I'd got lucky. If the connection had dropped after a few hours then I could understand it might be something like electrical interference. I don't think I had too much problem when I was with Pipex but that was at a much lower speed. "M I think. So I thought I'd suggest Plusnet turned my 6M down a bit. Apparently it is all done automatically, so didn't really get very far. frown

Cable modem had a display of SNR etc. but I don't think my Netgear DM602 has this, but seem to recall details can be got from a website or similar?

Open to suggestions as I really need an "on all the time" service not an old dial-up one! wink

---
My Broadband Speed Test
===========
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sat 11-Feb-12 17:27:35
Print Post

I even raised a PN ticket over this recent problem, but it seemed beyond them. Beyond confirming my disconnections which seemed to follow a pattern (see image) their take was that it was not their fault and must be mine, the only suggestion was to raise a fault, which i considered a waste of time. It is strange though, that since complaining I have had far less dropped connections, with none for the last 48 hours which is a record for the last month.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/disconnectio...

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2027/plusnetspeed.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 22:08:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by hk11:
It's not so much a case of not being able to get help. More an example of the right person to help really. wink

I agree - and continuity can help too. That's one way in which the guys on the forum can help, cos they can give a little continuity to issues.

They can be a little thinly spread sometimes, so still get you to complete a fault report on the website, and then possibly deal with it themselves, or hand it on to an agent. While some people complain about doing this step - and some complain about doing it multiple times, this is the downside of the way BT goes about it's wholesale operations: BTW requires ISPs to jump through these hoops before they will do anything.

While some things look daft, and annoying, sometimes it is best to just get them done and out of the way.
I understand ADSL can be a bit flaky compared with cable, but when I got the first three days without problems, I thought I'd got lucky. If the connection had dropped after a few hours then I could understand it might be something like electrical interference.

The problem with disconnections like this is that it can be very hard to fathom out the cause - particularly when intermittent. Your issue might be related to the weather - perhaps temperature based, caused by frost or ice, water-based such as rain or fog. It could be a physical thing caused by movement in the wind, or movement caused by drying clay soil. It could be electrical, and dependent on a neighbour's heating system (we've seen problem with a reptile heating element before now). It could be interference from other broadband users, who only turn their system on twice a week.

Of course that makes it hard to identify when you are suffering, and even harder, after making a change, to decide whether you have fixed anything or made it worse.

Patience is needed.

I don't think I had too much problem when I was with Pipex but that was at a much lower speed. "M I think.

The speed plays a big part. I also understand that ADSL2+ has more problems, because they forgot to extend the FEC (error-correction) process so it would work equally well at the new higher speeds.
So I thought I'd suggest Plusnet turned my 6M down a bit. Apparently it is all done automatically, so didn't really get very far. frown

Yes. The exchange has a DLM process that monitors the errors & disconnections on your line. If it thinks you are unstable, it alters your "profile", which may turn on (or turn up) interleaving and FEC, or it might increase the SNRM (which should turn down the speed).

If it hasn't done that yet, it doesn't think you are unstable yet.

M0aur, in the next post, shows a graph of the PPPoA disconnection that Plusnet can see on his account - and if you post over there, this is probably the first thing that the DCT (digital care team) will look at on your account, and may well show it on the thread if you ask.

Cable modem had a display of SNR etc. but I don't think my Netgear DM602 has this, but seem to recall details can be got from a website or similar?

Most ethernet-based modem/routers have a web-page that makes these details accessible to you, and it is certainly useful information to have if things are going wrong.

I'm afraid I don't know this particular modem, but I guess you need to browse to one of these addresses: http://192.168.0.1/ http://192.168.0.254/ http://192.168.1.1/ http://192.168.1254/ then login with a username od "admin" and a password of "password" (both without the quotes).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-12 22:38:45
Print Post

Typo.

The last IP address should end 1.254

passwords can also be admin or blank

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Feb-12 22:39:33)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to