User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Routefinder
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-12 23:03:22
Print Post

21CN WBC Status question

[link to this post]

Hi All

My exchange according to SamKnows says RFS 31/3/2012 but I thought I would see what the BT Boradband Checker has to say about the phone number and got this (copied of the page report)

==================================================================

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps.

===================================================================

FWIW I am currently on Max ADSL sync'ing at 3648kbps with this test result:-

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1779979652.png

And the TBB test slightly different speed?
My Broadband Speed Test

So based on the BT checker is my exchange already ADSL+2 enabled and would I benefit from the switch to it???

Edited by Routefinder (Fri 17-Feb-12 23:06:38)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Feb-12 23:59:56
Print Post

Re: 21CN WBC Status question

[re: Routefinder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Routefinder:
If that was really meant to be a question: The estimates are of connection/sync speed but the speedtest is of actual throughput, usually about 83% of sync.

The BT chacker indicates that exchanged is 21CN. At those speeds you will not benefit from ADSL2+, except your upload speed should increase. However, you may gain slightly from ADSL2 only.

Post your router stats so we can see. Your speed indicates an attenuation of about 55 dB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:09:56
Print Post

I don't think that BTW report necessarily means that ADSL2+ is enabled. For exchanges that are scheduled for FTTC but not enabled, users get their FTTC estimates with exactly the same wording.

If you put your phone number into the IDNet checker on this page see which package page it takes you to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 18-Feb-12 00:10:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:13:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by Routefinder:
If that was really meant to be a question: The estimates are of connection/sync speed but the speedtest is of actual throughput, usually about 83% of sync.

The BT chacker indicates that exchanged is 21CN. At those speeds you will not benefit from ADSL2+, except your upload speed should increase. However, you may gain slightly from ADSL2 only.

Post your router stats so we can see. Your speed indicates an attenuation of about 55 dB.

Stats here:-

Uptime: 7 days, 9:06:05

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,648

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 54.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 5.5

So if ADSL+2 has the potential to give me some improvement will PlusNet CSC be able to tell me if my exchange really is enabled as the BT checker seems to suggest? The checker infers in best case scenario I will get another 0.5Mb in download assuming I am reading that right???

Maybe I should PM Orbey and see what he can tell me about it smile
(experienced) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:17:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't think that BTW report necessarily means that ADSL2+ is enabled. For exchanges that are scheduled for FTTC but not enabled, users get their FTTC estimates with exactly the same wording.

If you put your phone number into the IDNet checker on this page see which package page it takes you to.

Hi Roberto

Using the checker on the link you give it 'returns' only ADSL Max packages, so why the variance with the BT's own checker??? Does seem sort of misleading frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:23:34
Print Post

As I said, the BT Wholesale checker doesn't say it is live. It just says "your line supports", ie when the exchange is live your line is OK to get it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

(experienced) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:31:21
Print Post

As I said, the BT Wholesale checker doesn't say it is live. It just says "your line supports", ie when the exchange is live your line is OK to get it.

OK but the same phrase is used about ADSL Max and I already have that service so by inference the ADSL+2 functionality is there, hence why I said the report is misleading???
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:32:26
Print Post

For exchanges that are scheduled for FTTC but not enabled, users get their FTTC estimates with exactly the same wording.
No! A few months ago before FTTC came to a cabinet near me. BT checker said something like "FTTC estimated to be available on {date} ...".

@ OP: Don't rely on BT Checker being accurate to 0.5 Meg. You already getting above top of its range!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 00:59:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

True, but in earlier days it was the same. Even with the current wording I think it still says "supports". Not "will support".

Standard User chris6273
(member) Sat 18-Feb-12 01:44:45
Print Post

Unfortunately SamKnows is behind on the latest information from BTw (BTw closed the page where SamKnows used to get the latest Datasheet showing what exchanges are due and which are enabled. However, the document can be obtained elsewhere).

I doubt you would get much out of ADSL2+ with your attenuation though.

I might also add that it could be some time before BTw accept orders for 21CN on your exchange if it has been enabled.

For example: My exchange was enabled for 21CN early January and the earliest time BT Retail are letting us renew our contract is next Tuesday (21st February), when they say the line will be switched to the new equipment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Noise Margin 16.8 db 24.0 db
Max(Kbps): 11616 1056

Edited by chris6273 (Sat 18-Feb-12 01:46:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to