User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 06-Mar-12 12:44:43
Print Post

21CN Capacity - Impact on 20CN?

[link to this post]

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1331035095.htm

We will shortly be increasing the capacity of our 21CN host links by 1450Mbps.

Does the capacity of the 20CN links change as the 21CN links are increased? I.E. - Are there less 20CN links, or with people shifting to 21CN, is the 20CN capacity improving?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2012

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User petervaughan
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Mar-12 07:56:38
Print Post

Re: 21CN Capacity - Impact on 20CN?

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

21CN uses a different connection to the internet to 20CN so there is no impact on 20CN if 21CN bandwidth is increased.

In theory as people are moved from 20CN to 21CN those left on 20CN will have more capacity between them, however Plusnet will be reducing the 20CN capacity as they see fit in order to reduce the high cost of those links. They generally don't make announcements when reducing capacity so you won't know when this occurs.

- Peter

--
plusnet Customer Plusnet Pro on FTTC (40Mbs down/10Mbs up)
Plusnet Usergroup (PUG) Member
| PUG Website | PUG Forums | PUG Issue Tracker | UserTools Website | Service Status by Email | Exchange Checker ]
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Mar-12 12:53:22
Print Post

[re: petervaughan] [link to this post]

The last service status posting I saw about 20CN was to increase capacity by 1600Mbps

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1318350071.htm

They have been increasing user numbers very significantly and a high proportion of those will be on 20cn only exchanges so even though some users will be being moved to 21CN I'd be surprised if they have reached the point where 20cn capacity could be reduced. In any case I bet average usage is going up and reduced pricing is available on Market 2 exchanges which probably encourages more users to upgrade to Extra to get the higher allowance.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Edited by jelv (Wed 07-Mar-12 12:57:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Wed 07-Mar-12 13:04:47
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

On this occasion we reduced IPSC i.e. 20CN capacity by 540Mbps. Wholesale are discontinuing IPSC at some point in 2014 if I recall correctly.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Mar-12 13:21:24
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

Does that mean ALL exchanges will be 21CN by then or will some exchanges only be served by ISPs using the old gateways?

jelv

ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Wed 07-Mar-12 15:11:40
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Wholesale are retiring IPSC within the WBC footprint which I interpret to mean that there will still be the odd 20CN-only exchange knocking about.

Here's an excerpt from a Wholesale brief received late last year:

Earlier this year, BT Wholesale published its intention to withdraw its IPStream, IPStream Connect and Datastream services from exchanges where Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) exists or will exist in the near future.

During the past six months, BT Wholesale has worked closely with many of its customers to ensure a clear understanding of what needs to be done to move to the newer 21C WBC products. To ensure customers are able to easily move forward, BT Wholesale is continuing to carry out further detailed planning. It is therefore BT Wholesale's intention to move the start date of the retirement program slightly into the new year. Customers are advised not to change any plans that are already underway and to continue to move to WBC wherever possible.

The move of the start date does not change the notified final retirement date of 31st March 2014 and further announcements are expected early in January 2012 outlining the revised timescales.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Mar-12 15:59:46
Print Post

If the stats shown on SamKnows are accurate surely it's going to be more than "the odd 20CN-only exchange knocking about". There are 5508 ADSL Max exchanges and only 1786 ADSL2+ / WBC enabled exchanges (which are included in the first figure). I can't see them getting anywhere near upgrading all of those in the next two years.

My interpretation of the BTw brief is that where WBC is available ISPs will not be able to use 20CN connectivity after 31st March 2014 but there will still be a very substantial number of small exchanges where they won't make the investment to provide anything better than ADSL Max (until one of the operators such as Kijoma looks like moving in when magically they will find the money).

Where an exchange is still on 20CN, the BTw notice does not say that IPSC will not be available.

jelv

Edited by jelv (Wed 07-Mar-12 16:02:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Mar-12 16:20:15
Print Post

Bob?
Unless there is some other relevant communication, that quote says IPStream is being withdrawn as well as IPSC where WBC is enabled.

Your "within the WBC footprint" doesn't appear in the quote, but is consistent with it. I take the meaning to be that where WBC is enabled that 20CN DSLAMs will be decommissioned.

Where WBC hasn't reached I would expect IPSC still to be available. IPStream may not be though, but that's a different issue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Mar-12 16:21:52
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Sorry jelv, I didn't read your post before making mine. I think we are basically saying the same thing smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Mar-12 16:38:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep, I'm happy that we had independently reached the same conclusion.

jelv

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to