User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ponyman
(learned) Fri 16-Mar-12 20:08:00
Print Post

Service affected by high winds

[link to this post]

When we get high winds here my DSL service goes up and down like a yoyo. It always reconnects immediately, but after its done it a few times my profile gets adjusted and my speed drops through the floor. I have learnt from experience to report it to Plusnet as DCN rather than slow speed because this avoids the "72 hour" syndrome. What I have failed to do is get anything done about the base problem. We get into the situation where the wind has dropped and the connection stabilises so there is no problem for an engineer to see. I did actually have an engineer out in late January at a time of high winds but there wasn't actually a problem whilst he was here. He came Friday am and the winds decreased overnight Sunday so by the time Plusnet picked it up on Monday everything was stable and they couldn't/wouldn't do anything more. I had the same problem 10 days ago (6 drops in 12 hours) but again by the time they investigated everything was stable.
Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can address this or do I just have to put up with it and raise a ticket everytime it happens?
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Mar-12 02:10:20
Print Post

Re: Service affected by high winds

[re: ponyman] [link to this post]

I guess this is because your phone cables are on poles rather than in the ground?

As the problem only occurs when there is a high wind, I would think it is going to be difficult to be difficult to get BT to do anything. frown I'd keep reporting it if I were you and eventually someone might actually take notice.

I assume there is no place on a report form to note something like "please check in high wind" wink Maybe if they checked the security of the wires they might find a loose connection?

---
Keef- Dartford Kent UK - Plusnet via Siemens Gigaset SE587
My Broadband Speed Test
Previously - Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream,
Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 17-Mar-12 07:24:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by ponyman:
When we get high winds here my DSL service goes up and down like a yoyo. It always reconnects immediately, but after its done it a few times my profile gets adjusted and my speed drops through the floor. I have learnt from experience to report it to Plusnet as DCN rather than slow speed because this avoids the "72 hour" syndrome. What I have failed to do is get anything done about the base problem. We get into the situation where the wind has dropped and the connection stabilises so there is no problem for an engineer to see. I did actually have an engineer out in late January at a time of high winds but there wasn't actually a problem whilst he was here. He came Friday am and the winds decreased overnight Sunday so by the time Plusnet picked it up on Monday everything was stable and they couldn't/wouldn't do anything more. I had the same problem 10 days ago (6 drops in 12 hours) but again by the time they investigated everything was stable.
Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can address this or do I just have to put up with it and raise a ticket everytime it happens?

How does this problem effect normal telephone operation? its likely that there will be a lot of noise when using the phone in high winds, so report a voice fault when this happens.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Mar-12 09:01:58
Print Post

I agree with systemx, sounds like a bad connection on the overhead cable which disconnects when the wind blows and would affect voice calls as well.

Dennis
plusnet value & talkanytime
Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Sat 17-Mar-12 11:09:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by ponyman:
When we get high winds here my DSL service goes up and down like a yoyo.

Do your neighbours have the same problem, or are you the only one affected by the increase in the wind?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wagstaff

"As the smart ship grew in stature, grace and hue, in shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too."
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Mar-12 16:57:04
Print Post

May be worth posting here as well, as a PN rep may see it sooner!

Dennis
plusnet value & talkanytime
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Mar-12 19:03:16
Print Post

Check the line using the BT quiet line test, dial 17070 and take option 2, if you don't hear any noise then remember to do the test (if possible) the next time the wind blows and causes the problem, if you then hear noise report it as a phone line noise fault ..... and it's best not to mention the broadband problem when you do this.

Alastair

omadasafisho
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 19-Mar-12 11:16:18
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Hi ponyman,

We'll be happy to look into this for you but as stated it'd most likely be resolved much faster if it was raised as a phone line fault. If your phone line is with us we'll get it raised for you, if not please report it to your provider (without mentioning the broadband as Apprentice says, as that'll complicate matters) and once it's fixed the broadband should be sorted as well.

If not of course please let us know.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User pob
(member) Sat 13-Oct-12 11:36:44
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

My father-in-law had a similar problem. We noticed loads of dropouts with his ADSL in bad weather. It got progressively worse until we then got lots of noise on the line on windy days.
Reported it to BT as a voice line fault. Told them exactly what we thought the problem was. They came out within 5 days with a cherry-picker and replaced the think cable between the pole and the house. Problem sorted.
Standard User Billward
(newbie) Sun 14-Oct-12 00:19:33
Print Post

[re: pob] [link to this post]

Very interesting. If only I had known that voice is important and broadband trivial to BT/Plusnet.
Recently I had an intermittant problem with broadband dropping & reconnecting every few minutes then going for hours or days without dropping then back to dropping several times an hour. Ticket raised and lengthy dialogue followed but I began to feel as if I was talking to a wall as virtually every question or comment appeared to be ignored despite numerous escalations, apologies and 'please do not hesitates'. My mention of weather (rain in this case) and a possible link produced ... nothing. Over 2 months and 17 different support agents probably the most constructive comment was 'if we arrange another engineer visit he may declare this as a long line give us the option to ... cease the account completely'. In other words - if you don't shut up we'll stop the service. Fortunately at about this time somebody else in the lane did complain about the voice service and the overhead cable was replaced. The problem appeared to have been squirrels gnawing at the sheathing allowing moisture to get into the cable.
However BTO hadn't quite done the recabling correctly and we, and at least 4 others in the lane, lost the phone service - reporting the voice fault produced a fix within a few days. And my download speed is now the highest it's been since enabling 6 years ago (0.75Mbps).
It's just a pity that Plusnet (MAAF in my case) don't apparently notice that a problem has been ongoing for some time and have someone take responsibility for resolving it. However they did send me an email with the subject - 'Feedback'. Unfortunately it was blank - no text, no link - so when I replied asking what I was supposed to do with it I got ...... no reply. Perhaps they knew that I might not be completely happy.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to