User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(learned) Thu 29-Mar-12 14:31:09
Print Post

User Experience - PLUSNET FTTC

[link to this post]

Plusnet is on my short list for FTTC. Estimates suggest full speed as I can see the cabinet from my window. Unfair question I know but how good is PlusNet FTTC compared to BT or an independent ISP? Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 29-Mar-12 15:55:36
Print Post

Re: User Experience - PLUSNET FTTC

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I had a year with IDNet with full 40/10 connection, absolutely no trouble.

Been on Plusnet now since 13 Feb, to save money, and perfectly happy. Speed test speeds (down) are the same as IDNet, upstream of course I now only have a 2Mbps connection.

The traffic management doesn't affect me. I assume you have the details.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Thu 29-Mar-12 16:00:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. I am with IDNet but I am slightly concerned that 50GB a month may not be enough when the wider family visits as they did at Christmas. PlusNet look to be good value but I wouldn't' want to jump from a stable 14Mbps connection to an unstable 40Mbps. Up speeds and traffic management are not a concern for me either.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Mar-12 21:02:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Any reason why you haven't asked to go on to the 80/20 trial?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 29-Mar-12 21:55:01
Print Post

No problems with Plusnet FTTC either for me. I was getting maximum speed on the 40/2 product (about 400m from the cab) and am getting around 60-65 down and 15 up on the 80/20 trial. The Plusnet packages are 40GB a month (not 50) or 120GB for an extra £5.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 29-Mar-12 23:01:42
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Don't need it jelv smile, and not much benefit on downstream. Under 52Mbps maximum showing on the modem stats. I forget the upstream, and can't read them right now. Been messing around and lost the LAN2 connection to the modem.

Standard User CarrieLaw
(learned) Fri 30-Mar-12 15:10:41
Print Post

I joined Plusnet just over a month ago now, and am very pleased with their service so far. I went onto their full 120GB allowance Fibre Plus package because I've been used to Unlimited with O2 for so long, but in reality I need not have worried. I would like to see them implement larger allowances though, just for peace of mind.

Service wise everything has been fine and it has proved to be a reliable service. I'm regularly getting 37 Mbps downstream and 1.8 Mbps upstream. I haven't gone onto the 80/20 trial yet, but may ask to do so very soon. I took the £5 a month Pro add-on meaning a priority connection at peak times, but whether it is actually necessary, I'm not sure. I may try a month without it and see what happens. But even at peak times I am getting very nearly full speeds right now.

Plusnet staff have been very helpful on the phone, and you can choose a quiet time to ring them by checking their customer support stats webpage, which will tell you how long you are likely to have wait in the queue at any time. The staff are good at answering queries via Twitter, on these forums and in their own forum and do go out of their way to try to be helpful.

I'm very pleased and will likely move my phone line to them too soon. I haven't done it yet because I've liked having the BT TotalCare package for quick response to faults, but I'm no longer sure that's worth it anyway.

I can see why Plusnet came out top in Which magazine's recent survey.
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Sat 31-Mar-12 09:12:37
Print Post

[re: CarrieLaw] [link to this post]

Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses. All too often, these forums are filled with problems and negatives and it is easy to forget that most customers are happy with their telephone and broadband providers. PlusNet is now most certainly on my short list.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 31-Mar-12 10:18:57
Print Post

Let us know what you do smile.
(Did you pick up on kasg, re Value is 40GB, not the 50GB you said?).

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 31-Mar-12 10:19:27)

Standard User FlippyFF
(regular) Thu 05-Apr-12 09:03:29
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I've been on Plusnet Extra FTTC since, I think, June last year and it had worked without a problem.

It's was so good I was reluctant to accept the modem replacement (if it ain't broke....) but having signed up for the 80/20 trial I finally relented.

Pre 80/20 I was getting around 37Mbps down and about 1.6Mbps* according to TB speed check. (*may be getting my figures wrong but that sounds about right)

Post 80/20 with the original modem my speeds peaked one day at 53Mbps but since then it's fallen to 26 down / 16 up and the modem replacement has made no difference. I've raised a ticket and am awaiting the outcome.... (it's a trial after all)

But overall, yes, I'd recommend Plusnet's fibre package.

Simon
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to