User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 01-Apr-12 19:56:16
Print Post

Checking estimated FTTC speed?

[link to this post]

As an existing PN customer, why can't I get an estimate of my speeds if I switched to FTTC, without having to log in and enter the "Switch Products" routine?

When I try to use the availability checker to find out if it's available yet (I've seen Openreach working on the cabinet), or what speeds PN think I might get, I'm told I'm already a PN customer (Duh! I knew that!), and to log in if I've seen a product I'm interested in, or want to switch.

But how do I know if I'm interested or want to switch, if I can't check what the expectation is? Presumably, if I clicked "Switch Products", I'd get a chance to chicken out before the end? But I still don't really want to press it, when I'm not interested in switching yet. I'm merely curious. So why can't I do an ordinary availability check, that any non-customer can do?

T.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Apr-12 20:14:27
Print Post

Re: Checking estimated FTTC speed?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

All Plusnet's checker does is get the data from BT Wholesale, so just use http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you don't have a BT line use:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...

Edited as a result of RobertoS's post.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Edited by jelv (Sun 01-Apr-12 22:20:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Apr-12 22:07:34
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I think the phone number option on that URL is better, seeing as we know he has a "BT" line.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Apr-12 22:19:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Quite correct - I've edited my post.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 01-Apr-12 22:22:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

She wink

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 01-Apr-12 22:36:38
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

It appears FTTC isn't ready yet, but thanks anyway. Seems silly that existing customers can't ask the same question on the PN site, without having to "pretend" they want to switch products.

According to BT, latest estimate for FTTC is June. The original plan was March, so when I noticed a lot of work going on lately, I was hopeful we might be on target. Evidently not.

I'm not desperate for it anyway. I'll let others suffer the teething problems before deciding. I was just curious whether it was available yet, and what the estimates were.

Oh, and yes, I can confirm I am a girl! wink
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 01-Apr-12 22:40:32
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TLM:
I'm not desperate for it anyway. I'll let others suffer the teething problems before deciding. I was just curious whether it was available yet, and what the estimates were.

If teething problems are having 60+Mbps download speeds when I used to get 3Mbps then I'm happy to have them!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 01-Apr-12 22:48:46
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Don't know, at this stage, if that will be the only "teething problem". I'm happy to let others find that out.

I have no immediate need for speeds like that. Although I'm quite sure that once you have it, demand grows to suit the capacity. When I still had dial-up, I couldn't have imagined what the heck I'd do with 3Mbps! It's all what you get used to, isn't it?
  Print Thread

Jump to