User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Routefinder
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:40:04
Print Post

What does this mean......

[link to this post]

Hi All

For the Netgear DG834Gv4 I get this off of Routerstats via Telnet

Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 443 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3147 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.2 18.5
Attn(dB): 54.5 28.7
Pwr(dBm): 0.0 13.1
Max(Kbps): 4216 860
Rate (Kbps): 3147 443

Now my question at this stage is the Max(Kbps) figures, especially the DL one. What is the relevence of this in regard to actual sync "rate". ???

What about the Link Power State as being L0

Lastly, does this mean the line has been put back into the 10 Days training period "Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 8000" because I certainly was not aware of it or the reason if that is the case???

Thanks for any insight on these smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:48:52
Print Post

Re: What does this mean......

[re: Routefinder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Routefinder:
Now my question at this stage is the Max(Kbps) figures, especially the DL one. What is the relevence of this in regard to actual sync "rate". ???
It's a theoretical maximum based on a calculation with your attenuation.
What about the Link Power State as being L0
means it's operating on full power
Lastly, does this mean the line has been put back into the 10 Days training period "Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 8000" because I certainly was not aware of it or the reason if that is the case???
no, it's just a code saying why it was resynced

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:57:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the rapid repsonse smile

I swapped out my Thomson TG585v7 for my older Netgear DG834Gv4 because it would not allow wireless access control to be locked when using my BlackBerry Playbook. With the Netgear I can MAC filter and 'lock it down' ~ much prefered IMO.

However, I will post under a new post after I have examined my records as my sync speed has dropped badly after my ADSL2+ training period, appears to have gone in progressive steps with many days of stablity at the 'then' speed............................the Netgear when last used beat the Thomson for sync on the 20CN network so not sure if the switch out is the prime reason for my mostly recent speed drop.

As I say not relevent to this posting and will start a proper thread when I have collated my info to share for the feedback smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-12 20:42:47
Print Post

A quick suggestion.
It may well be that the training period started off with a default 3dB noise margin but either it wasn't stable or there were too many errors causing it to be increased to 6dB.
(experienced) Sat 07-Apr-12 23:35:16
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
A quick suggestion.
It may well be that the training period started off with a default 3dB noise margin but either it wasn't stable or there were too many errors causing it to be increased to 6dB.

Good thought but no, my Margin has been solid in the 6db 'bracket' since before the 21CN switch. About the most reliable part of my connection :lol:
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:55:41
Print Post

Your noise margin on 20CN is largely irrelevant because your line has physically been moved to connect to different equipment in the exchange and a new training period started. The most it could indicate is that your line wasn't subject to large variations.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 17:28:41
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
Your noise margin on 20CN is largely irrelevant because your line has physically been moved to connect to different equipment in the exchange and a new training period started. The most it could indicate is that your line wasn't subject to large variations.

Point taken but the copper & aluminium between the house and the exchange has not "changed", so as you say (for all the oddities my long line has or could throw up) it has shown itself to be Margin robust for a very long time smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Apr-12 20:44:45
Print Post

ADSL2+ uses twice the frequency range of ADSL.

The higher fequencies are more susceptible to noise, for some reason. (Maybe there is more around up there). As a result, the error rates could be much higher if there is a source of considerable noise in those frequencies somewhere between the router and the exchange. Note, I specifically say the router, as the source could be local.

High error rates could cause a re-sync.

ADSL2+ is definitely more sensitive.

Which isn't to say this is the root of the problem you have. Just that stable noise margin behaviour on ADSL is not necessarily relevant.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Apr-12 21:49:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Difference is

1. Higher frequency, so attenuated more, plain physics
2. Different noise sources so stuff that may be ok for ADSL causes issues
3. RF behaviour i.e. bridged taps

Push any medium closer to its limits and errors are more likely

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Mon 09-Apr-12 09:24:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In my own case the differance between the additional atten from 2+ can be seen daily. now on a wbc connection via madasafish (plusnet)

At night on the 3db target snr router resyncs to adsl2 with a atten of 48.8 sync aound 4443
Reset after 8am I get 3db target snr router resyncs to ADSL2+ with atten of 52.1 sync around 5318 depending on local noise.

Previously to wbc on max I was on atten around 48 and sync around 4200 most of the time.with a 9db target snr see thread here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freenetname/f/40840...

Hope that helps

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now part of plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to