User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomxlisa
(newbie) Sat 07-Apr-12 22:26:54
Print Post

Potential New Customer Question

[link to this post]

Am thinking of leaving sky, to try somewhere else, as sky seem to restrict your SNR and don't seem to want to try and get your speed as high as it can be, i was thinking of trying Plusnet out, as they offer phone services and broadband for about the same price i am paying to sky, it is not unlimited but you get 60Gb and unlimited from 12am-8am which will do me, only trouble is it is a ADSL product and not LLU like i am on now, has anyone had any capacity/speed problems with Plusnet, i used to get them before when i was on ADSL but not since moving to LLU, i don't think i was on Plusnet at the tme, just to clear that up, any advice would be great?.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:19:56
Print Post

Re: Potential New Customer Question

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

Remember that moving from LLU will introduce the IP profile which is an artificial limit of your speed. In the new system this is 88.2% of the sync speed
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:39:57
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

It isn't that important any more Jim smile. Particularly moving from Sky, which has a 7dB target noise margin, where a decent WBC line now gets 3dB after a while.

The IP Profile loss includes a fair chunk of the overheads. For instance, the maximum throughput on Be/O2 is around 84% of sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:48:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good point - I will remember for the future as I get about 100kbps less than the 4431kbps IP profile on speed tests
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:58:50
Print Post

If you are syncing above or near 8Mbps at present I hope you've checked that your exchange isn't still on 20CN only!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Apr-12 11:36:08
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Yes, we need to know if the exchange is WBC-enabled. Otherwise your point about below 8Mbps, and therefore the old style DLM/IP Profile/Noise Margin system would apply. It doesn't really matter what his current sync is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Standard User tomxlisa
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-12 16:57:43
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

So is it a good idea to move from LLU then, at the moment the sky technical support and the fact sky limit the SNR to 7 is the reason why i want to leave them, and the fact my line was syncing at 19mb but now it isn't and they don't want to do much about it, i have just looked at my exchange and notice it says (21CN WBC status: Enabled) is this a good thing, i am not totally sure what this means, also how do you get to talk to the support team live on the website, it popped up last night on my screen when i went on the site, but i cant seem to find the link to get too it now.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-12 20:19:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by tomxlisa:
i have just looked at my exchange and notice it says (21CN WBC status: Enabled) is this a good thing,

Yes! If it didn't say that the maximum sync speed would be 8128.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User tomxlisa
(newbie) Mon 09-Apr-12 02:39:36
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I see on the site it says the max download speed is 16Mb, is that really the max or can you sync higher?.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Apr-12 10:03:50
Print Post

Now you see the effect of the new rules http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5135-is-speed-to-...
In practice the 16Mb refers to the speed achieved by the top 10% of customers
The words UP TO if preceding a speed figure e.g. 6 Mbps should mean that at least 10% of the customers using a service can experience this speed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to