User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User timjon
(regular) Thu 12-Apr-12 14:35:49
Print Post

FTTC "free wireless router" - what is it?

[link to this post]

I'm considering moving over to Plusnet FTTC (mainly because Plusnet seems to be one of the few companies offering a static IP) but would like to know at least some basic information about the provided wireless router...

- Does it have a LAN ethernet port so I can just connect it to my switch and everything will just work?
- Is manual port forwarding (with different devices handling different ports) supported?
- Any kind of QoS support?
- Plus, of course... what's the reliability like? I run home servers and there are far too many routers which seem to need regular reboots to keep responding...

I know it's possible to supply your own router - but without knowing which model is supplied for free, it's kind of tricky to know if I'd need one or not!

Cheers,

Tim.
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 20:22:19
Print Post

Re: FTTC "free wireless router" - what is it?

[re: timjon] [link to this post]

So far, the standard router for PlusNet FTTC has been a Netgear WNR1000, though they probably have the right to change this at any time.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 12-Apr-12 20:40:45
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

They have been providing the Zyxel NBG4604 (and possibly others) to 80/20 and FTTP triallists, I don't know whether this is indicative of a possible future change. Consequently I now have both the Netgear WNR1000 and the Zyxel. I've found nothing much to choose between them re performance, maybe the wireless range is slightly better on the Zyxel. It also has gigabit Ethernet ports.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User timjon
(regular) Fri 13-Apr-12 13:02:02
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, much appreciated - I'll look those up and see how they're reviewed.
  Print Thread

Jump to