User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Apr-12 21:41:51
Print Post

FTTC - 80mbps on the way?

[link to this post]

Considering FTTC and PlusNet are looking quite appealing, however the minute you think you know what you're doing, BT go and release Infinity 2.

Does anyone know if/when this is likely to come to PlusNet?

I'm sure I read somewhere about a product refresh being imminent.

Thanks.
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Sun 22-Apr-12 23:22:04
Print Post

Re: FTTC - 80mbps on the way?

[re: hutchingsp] [link to this post]

PlusNet have been trialling 80/20 for quite some time now, I think they're even still taking people onto the trial.
Product refresh is being talked about, possibly about a month away.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-May-12 10:54:51
Print Post

Warning: You may see your speed DROP on 80/20

[re: hutchingsp] [link to this post]

One warning about Plusnet and the 80/20 trial. A number of users who were on 40/10 or 40/2 saw a DROP in speeds when they went on the trial. Some were resolved but at least one was never resolved by Plusnet and had to drop out of the trial to get back his previous speeds.

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1027...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Edited by jelv (Fri 11-May-12 10:56:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Al1264
(learned) Fri 11-May-12 11:04:31
Print Post

Re: Warning: You may see your speed DROP on 80/20

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

True, but the same has been happening to people on the 'live' 80/20 product with BT, please don't assume this is specfically a PlusNet problem, it appears more likely to be a problem with the BTO/BTW systems.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-May-12 14:24:38
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

But did BT resolve the problems or just give up and say "you're running within acceptable limits" like Plusnet? How Plusnet can think running slower than before they upgraded is acceptable defeats me!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Fri 11-May-12 17:01:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
But did BT resolve the problems or just give up and say "you're running within acceptable limits" like Plusnet? How Plusnet can think running slower than before they upgraded is acceptable defeats me!

The problem seems to me to be that Plusnet did not set up a robust feedback system for problems with the 80/20 trial and tickets often ended up in the general pool rather than being addressed by staff involved with the trial, hence the "within acceptable limits" or similar responses. It is perfectly obvious that there is a problem with some people who are moved onto 80/20 experiencing slower speeds (thankfully not me) as, when they are moved back to the original product, the former speeds return. This problem appears to be common to all ISPs AFAICT and BT chose to launch their retail product without resolving it. Hopefully Plusnet will not make the same mistake.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 12-May-12 14:44:56
Print Post

Slower as in slower sync? Or slower throughput, i.e .results from testing

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Al1264
(learned) Sat 12-May-12 16:20:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Slower as in higher sync but loss of download throughput.
Standard User yoda2691
(experienced) Mon 14-May-12 12:54:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
One warning about Plusnet and the 80/20 trial. A number of users who were on 40/10 or 40/2 saw a DROP in speeds when they went on the trial. Some were resolved but at least one was never resolved by Plusnet and had to drop out of the trial to get back his previous speeds.

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1027...

I will second that, although I am not convinced yet that the problems are due to the sync speed but more due to PNs inability to identify and resolve issues with the trial.

All my problems occurred after I upgraded to Extra Fibre from Value whilst on the 80/20 trial. Before the package upgrade my connection was approx 65/18, stable and fast. Then they cocked it all up. Jelv helped me by identifying a configuration issue with my stable speed at PNs end but after that, nothing.

Now I have started to suffer drop outs that are becoming more and more frequent and are only resolved by leaving the router off for 15-20 minutes every time. I have reported this and my throuput today is diabolical, worse than my old pre-fibre connection.

Do the tests they perform cause this? I appears download is fine but very little is getting through on the upload side!!

I understand its a trial and there are risks associated with it but I really think this is a PN issue rather than a BT FTTC issue as everything was fine and dandy before they upgraded my package

NB just a note to say that I seem to have a usable connection for the first time today, speed test indicate 54/12.

Edited by yoda2691 (Mon 14-May-12 13:13:49)

ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 14-May-12 13:16:50
Print Post

[re: yoda2691] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the problems, though if it's sync drops it's not going to be caused by us as we can't actually affect sync at all, on fibre it's all between the cabinet and your premises.

If you could drop me a PM with your Plusnet username or a ticket ID I'll take a look and get it chased for you, if that'd be okay.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to