User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bcp
(learned) Sat 19-May-12 11:16:35
Print Post

GMail, Windows Live Mail & Plusnet problems?

[link to this post]

Does anyone know of any problems sending mail with Plusnet+GMail+Windows Live Mail?

My friend has a new PC with Windows7 on it, and Plusnet Broadband.
I setup his GMail account in Windows Live Mail 2011, using IMAP (the default option) with all the default settings. He was previously using WinXP & Outlook Express with Gmail and he had no problems. Now he has intermittent problems sending emails. Often he can't send attachments (consistently in the last few days), sometimes he can't send anything (intermittently in the last few days). The error he gets is 0x800CCC0F.

I have checked and rechecked all the settings, and I know they're correct as they work for me with my setup which is almost the same as his. I've also tried different port numbers for smtp: 465, 587, 25. IMAP is enabled in his gmail account. I've tried deleting and adding the account but that doesn't help either. I've also tried my Gmail account on his computer and setup and I get the same problems.

Have also tried temporarily disabling the Anti-Virus and Firewall, but this didn't make a difference either.

My question is: are there any know problems with Plusnet+WLM+Gmail & sending mail? Are there any special settings that should be used? Should he move from Plusnet?

Thank you.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Sat 19-May-12 11:42:07
Print Post

Re: GMail, Windows Live Mail & Plusnet problems?

[re: bcp] [link to this post]

You could give Thunderbird a try, I find it handles everything and automatically sets up many such as Gmail and Live, even via Plusnet!

Support - http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9499/supportne.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!

Edited by m0aur (Sat 19-May-12 11:43:49)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 19-May-12 11:52:45
Print Post

Re: GMail, Windows Live Mail & Plusnet problems?

[re: bcp] [link to this post]

If you are using gmail's outgoing mail server, smtp.gmail.com, I don't see where Plusnet comes into it. As you say, it used to work, so the only things that have apparently changed are a new mail client on a new PC. It would be worth trying a different client, e.g. Thunderbird, to see if you get the same problem, but intermittent problems are always the worst.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to