User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 14:04:00
Print Post

No new products or changed allowances in the near future

[link to this post]

For a while we've been speculating that Plusnet would be refreshing their product lineup at the end of May. Today a post has been made on the community forums:
I thought I should pop in here and clarifying the product refresh rumours.

At the moment we are working on a refresh of our product set, but this is in the very early stages and to set your expectations on it, there aren't going to be any changes in the short term. The refresh is likely to be happening later in the year. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but rest assured we are looking at it and taking your feedback on board.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Digital Care Lead

Especially for fibre users, the allowances are now looking very poor in comparison with other suppliers (including BT their parent company) so the news that nothing is going to change in the near future is not good!

For anyone who's been thinking of moving on, but has been holding off in the expectation that as most years there would be a Plusnet product refresh in April/May I can see no reason to delay making a decision (especially as the statement says it's only likely to be later this year, not definitely).

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 14:55:08
Print Post

Re: No new products or changed allowances in the near future

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I thought that Plusnet would launch an unlimited downloads package, now that John Lewis is re-selling Plusnet with an unshaped, unlimited product.

Oliver.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Tue 22-May-12 15:15:25
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Even the B.T. managed Post Office broadband is now offering an unlimited broadband package and an unlimited call option. They are also much cheaper than PN for many of us stuck on market 1 status. I for one am fed up with waiting on Ofcom to give market 2 status to my exchange that was TT unbundled last year.
The PN managed John Lewis is cheaper, but with a tie-in. Even PN are following the rest down the tie-in route with the years line rental upfront wheeze. Might as well go for B.T. proper if you can afford it. For those that wish to resist the tie-in, it may be time to move elsewhere.

Support - http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9499/supportne.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cleudo
(newbie) Tue 22-May-12 22:48:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
... "rest assured we are looking at it and taking your feedback on board"

Don't think they really are to be honest - this has been a longstanding issue and many people were holding off till the (rumoured) April (then May) review. How much "looking at it" do they need?

How would it work, moving to John Lewis? Do you just request a mac code as usual and sign up with JL? (even though the backbone is still PN?)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-May-12 22:48:43
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

Post Office, as in the one that has a 100GB fair usage limit
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5195-post-office-...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 23-May-12 09:47:27
Print Post

(especially as the statement says it's only likely to be later this year, not definitely).

I made the post as I thought it was better to set the correct expectations of the timescale instead of having people expecting a refresh within the next couple of weeks. It's most likely going to be Q3 when we perform the refresh, that's when it's currently pencilled in for.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User cleudo
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 10:15:41
Print Post

[re: cleudo] [link to this post]

Phoned PN up this morning, and they said John Lewis BB is traffic managed as well. Got offered an unlimited package to try out, so will see how that performs before deciding to leave or not - John Lewis doesn't seem to be the answer though...
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-May-12 12:46:10
Print Post

[re: cleudo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cleudo:
Phoned PN up this morning, and they said John Lewis BB is traffic managed as well.

Interesting, because the John Lewis website specifically says there is no traffic management at all on their Unlimited package:

https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/faq/#whatspeed
http://i49.tinypic.com/t5j4lv.png

Perhaps Plusnet staff could clarify this?

Oliver.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 23-May-12 13:19:09
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Interesting, because the John Lewis website specifically says there is no traffic management at all on their Unlimited package:

I know it indicates Line Speed for all protocols for unlimited broadband (like Plusne with the Pro add-on) but where does it say there is no traffic management?

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-May-12 13:21:53
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I know it indicates Line Speed for all protocols for unlimited broadband (like Plusne with the Pro add-on) but where does it say there is no traffic management?

When things aren't artificially slowed down by traffic management they run at line speed.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to