User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User KevinM2
(regular) Mon 18-Jun-12 14:54:49
Print Post

Any thoughts/experiences of John Lewis Broadband (non LLU)?

[link to this post]

I have decided it is time to move my ADSL Max ISP account, and John Lewis's unlimited broadband is probably top of my list right now, and at £18/month for an unlimited ADSL Max ISP, it seems very good value for money...providing it is any good, of course smile

I am hopeful, seeing as it is basically PlusNet (but unlimited) that it will be a decent, reliable service, but any thoughts on John Lewis broadband would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Kevin

Edited by KevinM2 (Mon 18-Jun-12 15:03:13)

Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jun-12 08:15:50
Print Post

Re: Any thoughts/experiences of John Lewis Broadband (non LL

[re: KevinM2] [link to this post]

As you say, it should be the same service as Plusnet - I'm assume that John Lewis must be subsidising the price as it's better than PN packages.
I was with Greenbee(John Lewis) a while ago with no problems but switched to PN as it was a better deal for my needs!
Are you aware that you have to have line rental (from£13.50) with them and it's a 12 month contract?

Dennis
plusnet value & talkanytime
Standard User KevinM2
(regular) Tue 19-Jun-12 09:29:58
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately any ISP I have found that is offering an unlimited service on a non LLU ADSL Max line,

a) Requires at least a 12 month contract, and
b) Requires you to take your line rental with them too

I'd rather not have the 12 month contract to be honest, but if it's the only way to get an unlimited package on my line, then I have no choice unfortunately.

That's why I was concerned about John Lewis being a reliable ISP, with no issues in providing a reliable, stable Internet service. I don't want to be stuck with a service that drops to virtually unusable between 4pm and 11pm (as happened when I was with O2 a few years back...I had a terrible job getting away from them).

I get a solid 8Mbps from my current ISP all day, with no drop off in the evening peak times, so I know it's fine as far as my exchange goes, so any speed drop off in peak times (if I get any from John Lewis) would be down to their equipment/contention, but I am hoping it won't be a problem.

Cheers,
Kevin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jun-12 09:40:56
Print Post

May be worth a look here

Dennis
Standard User KevinM2
(regular) Tue 19-Jun-12 10:06:59
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

Thanks!
Standard User professor973
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-12 11:35:04
Print Post

It seems a clone of PN. It is a well known fact that Plusnet have a unadvertised unlimited package that will be offered to those that threaten to leave, though you will then have a contract tie-in. So I would think it makes sense to eradicate one link in the chain and go PN direct. There are ISPs like Freeola that give unlimited with no contract tie-in or throttling who you don't have to take line rental with.
The high number of service interruption emails you get per day if you sign up to Plusnet service status emails, is enough to frighten anyone away from them.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 19-Jun-12 11:38:08)

Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jun-12 11:48:49
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
The high number of service interruption emails you get per day if you sign up to Plusnet service status emails, is enough to frighten anyone away from them.

Don't sign up to them - ignorance is bliss wink

Dennis
Standard User KevinM2
(regular) Tue 19-Jun-12 12:16:35
Print Post

I had a look at Freeola's website, and can't seem to find any package that offers unlimited downloads...There are packages they do that offer unlimited evening and weekend downloads, but that's not the same.

Do you have a link to their unlimited package? Thanks

There are ISPs like Freeola that give unlimited with no contract tie-in or throttling who you don't have to take line rental with.
Standard User professor973
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-12 12:49:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by KevinM2:
I had a look at Freeola's website, and can't seem to find any package that offers unlimited downloads...There are packages they do that offer unlimited evening and weekend downloads, but that's not the same.

Do you have a link to their unlimited package? Thanks

There are ISPs like Freeola that give unlimited with no contract tie-in or throttling who you don't have to take line rental with.

Freeola don't actually have a package marketed as unlimited. But, their main selling point is that they in no way limit users via throttling etc, and their unmetered starts at 7 00pm weekdays instead of midnight that most ISPs do and also includes ALL weekends. This makes it very hard to run out of allowance between 7 00am and 7 00pm. Also, I thought the no tie-in for broadband or line rental requirement were your main requirements. I realise they don't suit all, but it is nice not to have to sit up till midnight to watch iPlayer and avoid breaking an allowance. I have also not come across an unhappy user.
Most are like this one http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/t/4132965...

Edited by professor973 (Tue 19-Jun-12 12:52:30)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jun-12 12:53:24
Print Post

Ah, so you'd prefer ISP's who give no warnings or explanations and just hope no-one notices?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to