User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User plusnetuck
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-12 09:08:52
Print Post

Plus Refusing to turn Interleaving off

[link to this post]

Hello,

Decided to post on this forum as Plus are refusing to turn interleaving off on my FTTC connection. as they said the line is unstable and it needs to stay. How ever that is besides the point with BT we had our connection stay synced for 90+ days Just because when we got our broadband activated we had to disconnect it a couple of times to alter settings in the router.

http://puu.sh/Cgru

The actual interleaving seems to be causing errors on the line as the white openreach modem reports less errors then what it is displaying now Including a drop in the speed.

It's took 15 days of arguing in support tickets where our connection is not fully usable either due to streaming/playback issues including frequent disconnections in games. Plus the double latency that we are facing.

http://puu.sh/Cgsm
http://puu.sh/Cgsu
http://puu.sh/CgsG
http://puu.sh/CgsK
http://puu.sh/CgsU

We had similar issues with BT where DLM would report errors on the line that actually would not be causing any issues so BT had to keep putting a hard limit on the DLM but PlusNET are refusing to even help and just blaming this issue on our equipment inside our home.
Standard User plusnetuck
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-12 09:12:30
Print Post

Re: Plus Refusing to turn Interleaving off

[re: plusnetuck] [link to this post]

Question #55853294
For PlusNET Staff to use.

I'm forwarding this to OffCom now due to other issues I have had with PlusNET also.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 20-Jun-12 09:27:35
Print Post

We actually have no facility (nor do any other ISPs) to do this on a Fibre line unfortunately.

If interleaving is on then it's likely that the DLM equipment has determined that the line isn't stable enough with this off. The graphs in the links you've provided prove that the line isn't stable and is dropping too.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jun-12 09:36:22
Print Post

The actual interleaving seems to be causing errors on the line as the white openreach modem reports less errors then what it is displaying now Including a drop in the speed.
So you have unlocked the modem?

It's a bit hard to see what you are saying there, as bits seem to be missing. (How can it be reporting less than it is displaying?) Which errors are you meaning are worse with interleaving? There are several different sorts.

OfCom will either not be interested, or advise you to go through Plusnet's Disputes Procedure prior to a complaint to CICAS. Unfortunately all the evidence you have uploaded shows PN have carried out all the proper tests.

Was your BT Broadband also FTTC, or was it ADSLx? Why did you move? Did you have the same problem and hope it would be cured?
We had similar issues with BT where DLM would report errors on the line that actually would not be causing any issues so BT had to keep putting a hard limit on the DLM

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jun-12 13:07:47
Print Post

The DLM for BT Retail and Plusnet, and any other FTTC supplier (other than Digital Region) works the same as they are all using the same DLM from Openreach.

What sort of bit rates are you trying to stream, as a 6 Meg ADSL service will happily handle almost every commercial streaming service in HD format.

On the stability, your line stats indicate you are a fair way from the cabinet, and at these distances interference can be an issue, since FTTC is vulnerable to it. Most people have no issues.

What is the actual latency on the link, as the data you have shown indicate interleaving is set to low

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Wed 20-Jun-12 13:23:15
Print Post

Unless you are at least 1Km from the FTTC Cab, you would do better looking at local noise issues or wiring problems causing the disconnections. Your attainable speed should be higher than 32Mb at under 1Km without other issues present on the line.

How far are you realistically from the FTTC Cab?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jun-12 13:58:11
Print Post

confused
In reply to a post by plusnetuck:
Of course, Interleaving reports more corrected errors than Fast Path, which just lets them thro' uncorrected and unreported.

Ofcom won't be concerned about a technology setting like Interleaved vs. Fast Path. Their remit is the commercial aspects of the industry.

I have the inverse issue; Orange won't switch off Fast Path. They say it is only controlled by the DLM. I put up with it wink.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Wed 20-Jun-12 15:09:55
Print Post

Hello there,

Just read through your post and the comments made by the Plusnet staff on the pictures. I think your pointing the finger at the wrong thing.

It's saying the ping times on your tracert's are mainly 14ms, which is pretty much the same sort of response times you would get with interleaving turned off.
But what it also says is that some times your ping times spike upto 200ms on some ocassions.

This lookss more to do with internet traffic, then interleaving. It's either busy, or its being traffic shaped. Dont know if Plusnet have an option for prioritised traffic on fttc yet, but they had the option for adsl.

Standard User plusnetuck
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 00:33:24
Print Post

Hello,

Firstly, I'm 3.5km from the exchange around 600m from the cabinet with BT got 4.5Mbps up and 31Mbps down.

The issue here is due to me disconnectioning the connection about 3 times when transfering the broadband from BT the interleaving actually causes more errors on my connection in General where as ADSL gives me around 1-2MBps.

Example BT: http://pastie.org/3958301/wrap
Example Plus: http://pastie.org/4123405

Streaming issues are not constant but related more to BBC Iplayer/News Channel that is very annoying.

BT sent out engineer 6 times when my connection was activated and got the interleaving/ipprofile reset as DLM was reporting incorrect issues and applying interleaving after 6 times they finally fixed the problem and did not have that issue in 9 months. How would you feel if Plusnet totally refused to help you?

And then refuse point blank to provide you with a MAC Code when you want to transfer away from them? Plus the Support Staff are uttter stupid. I'm paying over 60% more with Plus then I was with BT who generally provided a better service as they at least wanted to help me with the issue?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jun-12 00:46:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by plusnetuck:
And then refuse point blank to provide you with a MAC Code when you want to transfer away from them?
They're not allowed to refuse for any reason. Report them to OFCOM.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to