User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 10:27:32
Print Post

Plusnet may be restricting your speed

[link to this post]

Plusnet have had a problem ongoing for many months which means users will not be getting the speeds they should be getting. What is happening is that when BT set a new IP Profile, Plusnet's systems may fail to reflect the change. For some reason it seems this seems for prevalent when speeds rise than when they fall (or maybe it's just more often reported).

How to check if you are affected:

1. Run a BT speed test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ in the information it gives will be your IP Profile.

2. Go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate and look to see what your current line speed is.

3. This depends upon whether you are on 20CN or 21CN. If you are on 20CN the BT speed test will have reported on the download only, on 21CN it reports on both download and upload.

21CN: The current line speed should match the IP Profile rounded down to the nearest 100.

20CN: See the table on this page to see how it should be set.

If your current line speed stays below the value it should be for more than 24 hours you need to contact Plusnet to have it corrected manually.

NB If you know you are on 21CN you can calculate your IP Profile which will be 88.2% of your sync speed.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Jul-12 10:38:52
Print Post

Re: Plusnet may be restricting your speed

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

My experience is that it drops when the IP profile drops but then does nothing when it rises again.
I have had to raise a ticket twice in the last couple of weeks to get it raised
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 05-Jul-12 11:23:12
Print Post

Just to add to this, if you are an FTTC user rather than ADSL and your Plusnet profile says 20Mb, do not scream to get it changed, this is what it should be and it is not restricting your speed. Also, on FTTC, IP profile is 96.79% of sync speed, not 88.2%

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Thu 05-Jul-12 11:24:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 05-Jul-12 11:40:43
Print Post

IP Profile for your line is - 13.46 Mbps

Current line speed:
13.4 Mb

I want my 0.06Mb!!!

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 12:05:51
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I did say rounded down to the nearest 100 so yours is correct.

How long does it seem to be for Plusnet to update when your IP Profile changes by more than 100?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 05-Jul-12 12:47:29
Print Post

Not sure. My SNR is locked, so I don't think it does change. Sometimes if I reboot at night and it syncs higher, it can be immediate. Other times, not so.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Edited by camieabz (Thu 05-Jul-12 12:54:53)

Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Thu 05-Jul-12 12:47:35
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

My PN current linespeed is 9.6 but my IP Profile is 8.67. PN seem to have speeded me up!!

Meldrew.
Standard User ASBOdog
(learned) Thu 05-Jul-12 13:19:15
Print Post

Reading the title i wondered what dishonest thottling pn was up to as that is not like pn, should of guessed it was the elastic strecthing in the bras an ip profiles forgot what a pain it can be since moving to cable.

On fttc i thought the 20mb profile was just a adsl2 thing that would of been sorted by now since it has been out of trial long time. Is there a pn profile still running in background not visable in the member centre?

virgin media 60mb oldh9 http://tinyurl.com/bwkesod
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 05-Jul-12 16:07:39
Print Post

[re: ASBOdog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ASBOdog:
On fttc i thought the 20mb profile was just a adsl2 thing that would of been sorted by now since it has been out of trial long time. Is there a pn profile still running in background not visable in the member centre?
I believe the PN line rate now properly reports the (rounded down) BTW IP Profile, except for those of us with it locked at 20Mbps.

The 20Mbps setting is recognised in the PN line management system as "unlimited/uncapped" wrt speed, and was originally applicable to ADSL2+ only.

When FTTC came along there was apparently a problem in getting the system to allow the 38717kbps BTW IP Profile, so people got throttled in error. Those of us who asked were therefore put on the 20Mbps setting, thus fooling the line management system into uncapping it.

Amusingly to me, an hour or so after mine was set to 20Mbps the bug was fixed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Jul-12 16:12:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I believe the PN line rate now properly reports the (rounded down) BTW IP Profile, except for those of us with it locked at 20Mbps.
Regrettably your belief is incorrect.
There is a major bug on ADSL2 where a rise in the BT IP profile isn't picked up by the Plusnet systems and needs to be manually changed either via a ticket or this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1015...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to