User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dredwing
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 13:04:35
Print Post

Thinking of coming for PN fibre optic, 120GB enough?

[link to this post]

Hello,

We've just got fibre optic in our area and we're keen to upgrade, our options are fairly limited on providers and Plusnet seem to be the best.

Our main concern is the 120GB limit a month. We're pretty heavy users - gaming, streaming TV and various downloads - the internet is pretty well in use every day from 8am until late.

So, my quesion is do people think we'll reach that limit? We currently have an O2 account with no real limit (and no easy way to measure our usage).

Thanks all
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jul-12 13:12:09
Print Post

Re: Thinking of coming for PN fibre optic, 120GB enough?

[re: dredwing] [link to this post]

It is the streaming TV that is the highest use, unless also downloading 4GB game demos every day.

HD netflix/iplayer/lovefilm runs at around 1.5 per hour

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:23:37
Print Post

[re: dredwing] [link to this post]

That sounds like BT or Sky, unless you have a pathological aversion to one or both. Both true unlimited wrt usage, but P2P can be very heavily throttled at busy times.

Both require you to have your phone service through them as well frown.

Plusnet do of course have an unlimited period at night. Drawbacks are they also count upload towards the allowance, and they have this traffic management. You might need the Pro addon, but can turn that on and off on a monthly basis.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User beardybuck
(learned) Thu 02-Aug-12 12:24:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've been on the 80/20 trial, which has been great. Getting 76/16 all day long, rock solid......

..... and 120GB is not enough.

Even trying to schedule my P2P stuff overnight, with Netflix, gaming the kids addiction to youtube, it keeps busting through that barrier, costing me A fiver for every extra 5GB.

Plusnet are great, but may consider moving at the end of my contract if they don't up the usage to around 200-250GB.

Don't argue with idiots - they lower you to their level then beat you with experience - Dilbert.

A64 3500 2.2@2.6 1024 Corsair PC3500 @440mhz
  Print Thread

Jump to