User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baddog
(newbie) Tue 07-Aug-12 23:08:15
Print Post

Does Plusnet throttle?

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm with O2 ADSL at the moment, and get about 6.5 Meg down speed. It is reliable but not cheap. For just a couple of pounds a month more I can get about 40 Meg down speed from Plusnet fibre. Their pricing seems very good.

Any problems with it? Do their speeds drop at peak times? Does Plusnet Fibre throttle torrents (BitTorrent)?

There don't seem too many complaints about them, so I take it their service is good?

Any other reasons why I shouldn't switch, or anything else to watch out for?

Thanks.

Patrick
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 07-Aug-12 23:24:23
Print Post

Re: Does Plusnet throttle?

[re: baddog] [link to this post]

Usage Allowances - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_b...

Traffic Management - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 00:02:09
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Perhaps worth pointing out 'overnight' (0000-0800, must check for fibre!) does not count against allowance.

Must admit that since I last looked, things seem to have changed a bit (Value vs Extra vs Pro).

I am on Extra (not fibre, yet) and about to absorb the traffic management info.

To be fair though, I do watch streaming video a lot day and night, whether from BBC, YouTube, or webcams (and Android World Wide Webcams app can be running for hours). Rarely hit the 60 GB limit (but do d/l a lot from iPlayer overnight).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

1996? Enterprise (IoM 0345) + Clara.net
1998? Clara.net + Freeserve

2000 Freeserve 500kbps (+ Clara dial-up + Clara USENET/Mail)
2002 ? Eclipse 500 kbps + FS
2003 ? UKFSN 1000 kbps + Eclipse
2005 ? PlusNet 8 Mbps+ Eclipse
moved home - used office BB
2008 Three dongle at home
2010 PlusNet 2 Mbps + Three dongle
2012 PN 10 Mbps + Three (ZTE 802.11 router) + Three mobile (802.11 hotspot)
2013 PN 30? Mbps + VM 30+? Mbps + Three mobile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 08-Aug-12 08:43:10
Print Post

We're looking to update those pages soon as the speeds are actually a bit more relaxed than are shown on those pages now.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User baddog
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 08:51:47
Print Post

Thanks for your quick replies, Camieabz and ultra. I'm glad I looked into this, as I almost signed up to an 18 month contract that would have been slower for everything I do except browsing.

I'm glad I read those links you gave. At PlusNet's 'Traffic Management Key Facts' for Plusnet Value Fibre (the package I was interested in) it seems just about everything apart from browsing, audio streaming, VoIP and IM (neither of which I use) are crippled in the evenings.

I'm currently on O2 Home Broadband Standard, which is unlimited and I've never noticed any traffic shaping. I just tested my speed and got 9Mbps down, 1.03 up. It never drops below 6.5Mbps down.

The page download speed shows I would get far slower speeds on fibre for everything apart from browsing except during the night (when I'm asleep), so I'd be silly to change. I appear to be on the best package for my needs.

It looks like my obsolete copper ADSL is quicker than superfast fibre!

Patrick
(isp) Wed 08-Aug-12 08:55:45
Print Post

I'm glad I read those links you gave. At PlusNet's 'Traffic Management Key Facts' for Plusnet Value Fibre (the package I was interested in) it seems just about everything apart from browsing, audio streaming, VoIP and IM (neither of which I use) are crippled in the evenings.

The speeds aren't nearly as low as those shown on that page, over time we've relaxed and removed some of the rules but have been a bit tardy in updating the page. I've not got the details to hand but the speeds aren't restricted as much as they show.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User professor973
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 10:16:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Usage Allowances - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_b...

Traffic Management - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

Not that they will be correct Still, cut and paste 'em into JLB!

Edited by professor973 (Wed 08-Aug-12 10:18:34)

(isp) Wed 08-Aug-12 10:17:09
Print Post

Just been having a chat about this and the updates we're looking to do to the download speed pages. On Value Fibre, P2P and Usenet are only rate limited between 8pm and 10pm to 2Mb. Outside of these times there are no rate limits in place for these services.

You could also add the Pro add-on which will remove these rate limits completely for an extra £5 per month.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:02:07
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

What about all the other speed limits on Value Fibre - do they now only apply between 8pm to 10pm and during that time is the lower limit 2Mb for all of them

Edited by Oldjim (Wed 08-Aug-12 11:03:17)

(isp) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:04:11
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

We'll be updating the page within the next few weeks with the actual speeds now, I can't remember them all off the top of my head.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to