User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-12 22:30:12
Print Post

FTTC Traffic Management

[link to this post]

Can anyone give me some real world speed figures for a FTTC product under Plusnet's traffic management? I was thinking of things like streaming video, torrents, and newsgroups. Thanks in advance. smile
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-12 23:23:06
Print Post

Re: FTTC Traffic Management

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

If you are considering P2P and Usenet then they are pretty heavily throttled so I would suggest that you would need the Pro option for those.
Streaming is a bit less clear as the published restrictions seem to have been relaxed but the new ones haven't been published yet
These posts cover it http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1069... http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1069...

Edited by Oldjim (Wed 15-Aug-12 23:23:29)

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 16-Aug-12 08:00:22
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Usenet, P2P and non-Plusnet FTP traffic is rate limited to 2Mb between 8pm and Midnight. No other rate limits apply although there is still the prioritisation of the traffic depending on the queue it's in (Titanium, Gold etc).

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 16-Aug-12 09:51:14
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
Usenet, P2P and non-Plusnet FTP traffic is rate limited to 2Mb between 8pm and Midnight. No other rate limits apply although there is still the prioritisation of the traffic depending on the queue it's in (Titanium, Gold etc).

Chris - does this supersede the information currently on the Plusnet website, which we have been told is due to be updated? Also, does it apply to all products, ADSL and fibre?

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Thu 16-Aug-12 09:51:56)

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 16-Aug-12 09:52:17
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

That's what the information is going to be updated to!

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 16-Aug-12 10:05:11
Print Post

Excellent - keeps it nice and simple!

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Zackary
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 19:23:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisparr:

I have a few related questions, and the linked threads don't seem to cover everything, so I hope this is the right thread to add my questions to. I'm planning which ISP to go for when FTTC is enabled for me (it is due and all local cabinets seem finished). I just wanted to confirm what you've said in my quote. Right now your website says that streaming is one of the protocols that will be "slowed down" for both Plusnet Value and Plusnet Extra. Is this not actually the case any more or did you miss that from your post? As a limit of 2Mb/s on streaming would me too low for many people, and would mean having to get Plusnet Pro.

Also, how much real-world difference does the prioritisation make if the protocol is said to be "managed" rather than "slowed down"?

There are so many things I'm taking into account with which service to go for, and I had decided on BT but since Plusnet have upped their speeds and have a pretty decent price, I'm now looking closer at what they will offer compared to BT.

Sorry for all the questions. smile

Edited by Zackary (Thu 16-Aug-12 19:24:50)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 16-Aug-12 19:37:27
Print Post

[re: Zackary] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zackary:
Right now your website says that streaming is one of the protocols that will be "slowed down" for both Plusnet Value and Plusnet Extra. Is this not actually the case any more or did you miss that from your post? As a limit of 2Mb/s on streaming would me too low for many people, and would mean having to get Plusnet Pro.

I am not a user of P2P or Usenet so cannot comment on that, but regarding streaming, I can say that I have never had any problem with high definition streaming (to multiple devices) on Plusnet FTTC under whatever limits were present in the past, and from what Plusnet has implied, even those limits have now been removed.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Zackary
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 19:41:19
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I am not a user of P2P or Usenet so cannot comment on that, but regarding streaming, I can say that I have never had any problem with high definition streaming (to multiple devices) on Plusnet FTTC under whatever limits were present in the past, and from what Plusnet has implied, even those limits have now been removed.

Ok that's good to know, thanks. I don't do P2P or Usenet at the moment but a bit of low def streaming sometimes. My needs will probably change though once I get off this current terrible 3Mb/s speed. smile So I'm trying to make sure I've future-proofed myself with whichever service I choose.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Aug-12 20:52:23
Print Post

[re: Zackary] [link to this post]

The website is a bit confusing
Streaming used to be limited to 10Mbps but that restriction has now gone as Chris said
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to