User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Aug-12 16:00:38
Print Post

Plusnet charging different at M1 from M2/M3

[link to this post]

One other thing I have been mulling over following on from some of the other posts on here but would divert those discussions too much if I posted on the existing threads...

Plusnet could set a price that averaged out the costs across the different markets and therefore was more expensive for 2/3 but less for 1. This would be much the same as most ISPs are doing that use BT wholesale.

This would have the effect that they would be a little more competitive on M1 exchanges but then when I've looked around they are already pretty competitive and it is difficult to find people to beat on VFM.

They would also be less competitive on M2/3. This means it would be even more difficult for them to go up against the likes of Sky, Be, TalkTalk, etc - all the sorts of providers that would be providing LLU on 2/3 exchanges.

To do this would be very bad for plusnet as it would almost certainly reduce their customer base and therefore their economies of scale.

So, personally I think they do well to offer the different pricing and that although people on Market 1 will feel unfairly treated they probably are already getting a competitive deal compared to a number of other providers (there are providers that are cheaper, some that are more technically savvy, some that have better customer service, etc but as a general provision Plusnet have what I think is a decent balance of all of those - even if we do have to rely on the Plusnet reps on this site to be able to get good support).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Aug-12 16:25:32
Print Post

Re: Plusnet charging different at M1 from M2/M3

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Orange now also have a policy of different charging at different exchanges for the same product, WBC or IPStream depending on exchange's capability.

They charge an extra £5 at what they term "outside our network area" which appears to be Market 1 & 2 exchanges.

Unlike PN they are not open about their "network area" and so we can only guess its composition.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BREWERDAVE
(regular) Sun 19-Aug-12 12:10:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

. Think HORRANGE introduced that charging policy several years ago when they first introduced their own LLU - one of the (many!!) reasons I left them.
My complaint about Market 1 exchanges is directed more at BT Openreach than Plusnet - they have us by the b***s - for instance my exchange of ~ 1500 chimney pots doesn't appear on ANY current upgrade documentation. I have been told by a friendly BT engineer that he has even been briefed by "management" that the existing exchange is down for replacement at some unspecified future date (dependent of new house build projects) and that NO major works will be carried out in the interim ie 21CN or Fibre! Since the land isn't down to be released until 2018 at the earliest,looks like we will be stuck in a rapidly declining B/Band backwater!!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Aug-12 13:58:06
Print Post

[re: BREWERDAVE] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BREWERDAVE:
. Think HORRANGE introduced that charging policy several years ago when they first introduced their own LLU
Yes, like many other LLU ISPs who sold BT IPStream in their non-LLU exchanges, but this was differential charging for diff products, LLU or IPStream.

I'm now talking about differential charging for the same product, WBC, in many exchanges, as BT expands its 21CN coverage.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to