User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-12 15:41:44
Print Post

New Fibre product question

[link to this post]

I got moved over from the trial to the live package.

The high Speed Broadband link in the Plus net portal states
Estimated line speed:
76Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-08-15 09:05:16
Current line speed:
78 Mb

How much of the 78Mb should i be seeing? Speedtests are currently working out as about 72-73.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Aug-12 15:58:05
Print Post

Re: New Fibre product question

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

You are pretty much spot on, due to IP overheads that cost about 4% of the line speed

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 28-Aug-12 16:02:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's interesting that the overheads on some lines exceed others' speeds. smile

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Aug-12 16:11:46
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Than you very much - that is really rubbing it in - my exchange is fibre enabled but they aren't going to enable my cab
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 28-Aug-12 16:25:15
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

You're kidding. It wasn't a dig at anyone. Just interesting how the priorities are making some get speeds so fast, others can only dream of it. More of a mini-moan than anything.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Aug-12 16:33:21
Print Post

I was - I just missed out the smiley - actually I am very happy now that I have managed to get my speeds - from speed tests - to just about 4,160kbps by tweaking my noise margin down to 5dB (below that it won't hold sync over night)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Aug-12 17:57:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
It's interesting that the overheads on some lines exceed others' speeds. smile
[raspberry]
Poor me too frown.

The difficulty of deciding whether to pay £3.50pm more than I do to get an extra 16Mbps over the "Value" 40Mbps.

(Runs and hides).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 18:19:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ring up and do it today. It's £3.50. That's one pint at the pub (well it is down here), 2 bottles of coke, a can of deodorant at a rip off corner shop. It's not going to break the bank & that's a fair increase in speed.

That being said have you shopped around if out of contract. Some of those cashback deals might make it 'cheaper.' wink

That being said if you use wifi be aware that 40Mbps can easily go through a few walls whereas 80Mbps cannot.

In my household I see it as a little 'traffic management.' Where I am can get 74Mbps and then it slows down to 10Mbps in some parts of the house. Those with the slower speeds are the ones torrenting usually. So the poor wifi signal stops them interfering with the rest of us. smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Aug-12 18:45:19
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

smile
I'm probably going to. It was just a bit of fun at camieabz's expense.

I'm only 7 months into an 18-month on Value, but am/was on the PN 80/20 trial (see my sig) so can upgrade without restarting the contract. Currently on 56045/13850 sync, but the extra speed and allowance are totally irrelevant to me. Wirelss is fine with my Buffalo router - the PN Netgear is poor. If I upgrade I'll get soemthing else from them for the postage cost, which may be worthwhile.

Just too lazy to check when I would start paying if I upgrade - it may as well be at my next billing date.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 28-Aug-12 20:34:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Wirelss is fine with my Buffalo router - the PN Netgear is poor. If I upgrade I'll get soemthing else from them for the postage cost, which may be worthwhile.

If you don't upgrade in effect you'll be downgrading - since you already have the quicker speeds. So I'd keep the faster connection.

& Yep I can get 55Mbps around most of the house wirelessly. The drop from 70Mbps happens really quickly though.

The PN has pretty similar range to a Netgear 3700 and 4500 that I tested.
Given the price tag of £109 I expected better. I didn't get one for myself. Sky's router did better.
Sometimes this expensive router equipment isn't what it's cracked up to be. The buffalo is around £20 right? Might give it a whirl sometime (unless I can get my hands on this new Sky hub with 4 integrated antennas).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to