User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fens
(member) Sun 09-Sep-12 11:15:45
Print Post

My experience

[link to this post]

Just thought I'd post a little note of priase to Plusnet. I have been with them a couple of years and generally everything has been fine. No connect problems, good speeds (although in a village I'm lucky and have a great connection). What prompted me to post today is that there was a automated billing error so had to call them up for the first time. Must say so nice to speak to any sort of customer service who are local and competent and pleasant. Bit gobsmacked!

Keep up the good work. Oh, and my exchange is about to be upgraded to upto 16tMeg which I never expected living where I do so that's good as well especially as I have little isp choice.

Regards

ps on my current 8Meg package I get approx 6000kbps, does anyone have a guess at what I should get approximately after the upgrade? thanks.

Edited by Fens (Sun 09-Sep-12 11:39:06)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Sep-12 11:43:49
Print Post

Re: My experience

[re: Fens] [link to this post]

Put your attenuation in here for a first guess http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Standard User Fens
(member) Sun 09-Sep-12 12:18:04
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Thanks Oldjim. That website doesn't seem to cater for upto16Meg but has 8 and then a big jump I suppose to 22? My Down attenuation is 13 and up is 8. So having put that in I guess perhaps doubling what I get now might be a guide? So say about 12000kbps?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Sep-12 12:41:08
Print Post

ADSL2+ is up to 24Mb (if I remember without checking) but the up to speed quoted by Plusnet - because of the new Ofcom Rules - is the speed 10% of customers are expected to achieve
It would be worth checking the speed reported by your router - it should be 8128kbps or if interleaved 7616kbps
If you aren't getting that then I suggest trying the test socket and see if it improves

Edited by Oldjim (Sun 09-Sep-12 12:47:32)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Sep-12 13:43:52
Print Post

That website doesn't seem to cater for upto16Meg

That's because it's either up to 8 or up to 24. If your attenuation is 13db downstream, then you should get a big hike, 18 meg or quite possibly higher.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 09-Sep-12 16:34:42
Print Post

Try:

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php

You can get by with just entering your attenuation. Put it this way, I get 12 Meg with 30dB, so you should get much more. 18 to 20 Meg most likely.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User Fens
(member) Sun 09-Sep-12 18:46:55
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Thanks for replies.
Oldjim yes I am getting the 7616 and noise margins are very high which I've been told I have a very stable line. I'm not too interested in the extra little bit of speed, rather have solid connection.
That sounds like a nice suprise on the way on speed, thanks for the info. I would be chuffed.

Regards
  Print Thread

Jump to