User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 10:38:18
Print Post

Moving phone from BT and broadband from O2

[link to this post]

I'm looking at moving my phone line from BT and broadband from O2 to Plusnet fibre extra with home phone and I have a few questions.

1. I note there is an 18 month contract for fibre but does the same apply for the phone line?

2. After contracts have expired are there any hassles migrating back to BT for the phone line if I choose to (although not that I can see me needing to do this if the service is ok)?

3. I got my MAC code from O2 yesterday and in the email there is a note saying

'Don't forget our seven day notice period. As long as you wait seven days from the date you told us you wanted to leave, we won't charge you'

Does anyone know if this seven day period means I need to wait seven dates before applying or does it mean that I can apply now and providing my service doesn't change within those 7 days everything should be ok meaning that install dates can be booked earlier on?

4. Does anyone know if I need to do anything to notify BT of the move or if I'm likely to get charged to leave, we've had the line for years and shouldn't be under any contract?

5. Roughly how long does the whole moving process take and is there much chance of being left without a service for any length of period? (I'm on the Bromsgrove exchange if that makes any difference)

6. Currently the master socket is in my son's bedroom under his bed although nothing is plugged into it and the router is on an extension downstairs. I don't like the idea of a modem being plugged in to the socket due to the possible fire risk.

The extension from this socket is wired using cat5e cable, would it be possible to use this cable to save the engineer having to run his own extension to move the socket as the current cable is installed under floor boards and behind walls.

7. Can anyone think of any gotchas that I should be aware of or may have missed?
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 11:24:20
Print Post

Re: Moving phone from BT and broadband from O2

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StuB:
'Don't forget our seven day notice period. As long as you wait seven days from the date you told us you wanted to leave, we won't charge you'

Does anyone know if this seven day period means I need to wait seven dates before applying or does it mean that I can apply now and providing my service doesn't change within those 7 days everything should be ok meaning that install dates can be booked earlier on?

Assuming that O2 apply the same rules as BE then when you ask for your MAC they "may" ask if you want to give the months notice of terminating the service. If you have then they will have given you a termination date. If not then you will be charged for a month after you leave / serve notice.

The 7 days appears to be a "free" period after the expiry of the notice period. It is virtually impossible to arrange to move without some overlap although with FTTC the install by OpenReach can be subject to several weeks lead time.

Regarding the siting of the modem your option are to get the NTE5 relocated or to get OpenReach to install an extension cable to locate the modem elsewhere. You can, of course, get OpenReach to put the modem next to the NTE5 and then move it yourself to the location you want it.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 11:46:30
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I think the termiantion period is 7 days instead of 30 if you're out of contract according to

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?N...

But what I'm not so sure about is whether that 7 day period is from me getting a mac code or from the request to move being initiated.

Also I believe when I spoke to them they said that they'll just bill me up a prorata amount upto the date that the change happens.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:28:18
Print Post

I read that as being seven days from you cancelling the service. In practice you will want this to be when OR have provisioned the FTTC service and removed the O2 LLU service. You cannot rely 100% on OR providing the FTTC service on the date they same and if not you go to the back of the queue.

OR will inform O2 when they shift the connection but this is the point at which you want to say goodbye to O2 - BE was different as they have a month notice period so I triggered that when I got the MAC.

Using the MAC will not automatically serve notice on O2. Remember the MAC is only valid for 28 days (or a month?) from date of issue so PlusNet (or any other provider) must get it before it expires. Once you give it to them it is no longer time limited - not a case of "I must have the service by then", you must use it or lose it by then.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:35:28
Print Post

I think it's OK as long as the migration doesn't occur before the seven days is up.

Checking my emails, I received my MAC from O2 on 4 Feb 2011 and submitted it to IDNet on 9 Feb, for a fibre connection. On 11 Feb, and again on 18 Feb, I received
YOUR O2 HOME BROADBAND SERVICE IS BEING TRANSFERRED
Dear Bob

We're sorry to hear that you are in the process of moving your Home Broadband service from O2 to another provider.

If we can still persuade you to stay ....
The migration completed on 18 Feb.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:46:29
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info although the whole process all seems about as clear as mud.

For the sake of a possible £15 charge for the extra month I think I'll just get the order placed and see what happens.

Edited by StuB (Wed 12-Sep-12 12:52:03)

Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:48:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info and that gives me a real world example of leaving o2.

When you used your MAC code did you also have to call again to say you actually wanted to terminate the service or was the fact that you used the MAC code enough to make it happen automatically?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Sep-12 13:12:30
Print Post

Full text of MAC email. The "date you told us" means the date I requested the MAC.
Hello Bob

Here's your MAC key: LAMR2152836/JC04Q. You'll need to give this to your new broadband supplier, if you decide to leave. It expires on date: 06/03/2011.

If it expires and you still want to leave, call us and we'll get you a new one. If you'd like to stay, then you don't need to do a thing.

Don't forget our seven day notice period. As long as you wait seven days from the date you told us you wanted to leave, we won't charge you. If you're still in a contract though, we'll have to charge you for leaving it early.

Best regards,

Felix Geyr
Head of O2 Home and Broadband

This email is sent from Telefónica O2 UK Limited.
Two days later, notification of the jiffy bag on its way.
Your O2 accessory has been sent by Royal Mail first class post. It should be with you in the next working day. You don't need to sign for it, and it should just fit through your letter box.
28 Feb
You can see your latest bill online now. We'll take the payment from your bank account on, or shortly after, 14/03/11.

Please check your bill summary and Direct Debit carefully.

Total bill: £0.00
21 March
We're sorry you've decided to leave. We've cancelled your Direct Debit and won't take any further monthly payments from you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Wed 12-Sep-12 13:37:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for those, other than the dates and the person signing the email my first two emails are identical to yours so hopefully I'll have the same resolution that you have had.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Fri 21-Sep-12 19:25:42
Print Post

Just a follow up on my thread and to answer a few of my own questions in case anyone else searches for similar in the future.

1. I believe that there is a 30 day rolling contract when moving from BT to Plusnet

4. Apparently it seems you don't have to do anything to notify BT and in my case the phone line is being moved 14 days after the broadband has been migrated.

5. In my case the whole O2 adsl to Plusnet fibre migration process has taken 9 days from the order being placed to the service being in operation.

6. When the engineer turned up at just after 8am this morning I explained about the master socket position being in my son's bedroom, the ideal location being by the lounge extension downstairs and the fact that I'd used cat5e cable for the extension cabling and he just joined the wires at the original master socket turning it into a junction box and then converted the lounge extension into a new master socket.

The connection was up and running in 30 minutes and is now humming along at 73mbps/17mbps according to speedtest.net, let's hope it continues.

He checked the line using his meter and it seems that it's syncing up at 80/20 and the maximum rate possible would be 86/37. I'm about 200 metres by road from my green cabinet.

A static ip was purchased very simply via the control panel and all in all everything has happened when expected so far and the service is currently looking excellent.

The only query that is possibly letting the side down a little is the wifi performance of the TG582n router which seems to vary it's performance considerably depending on it's orientation, the signal strength fluctuates quite a bit even when nothing else is changing and wifi performance in some areas of the house are marginal at best and unusable at others. That said my previous Netgear DG834GT wasn't a huge amount better in the marginal areas.

Overall though I'm very impressed with Plusnet fibre.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to