User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rich_T
(member) Thu 13-Sep-12 18:15:40
Print Post

Leaving Plusnet?

[link to this post]

Ive been with plusnet for quite a few years, and up until recently their prices ( and CS) have always been competitive, however I now have the option of using another provider on my exchange - talk talk, and as talk talks LLU prices are somewhat lower than plusnets "Market 1" exchange rates that re currently in force.
Apparently its market 1, and hence not a low cost area because BT are the only provider - depsite the fact that another provider is on the exchange - talk talk.
Talks talks prices as a result are somewhat lower than plusnet.

As its been a while since i moved priovider - almost -10 years, is the process still the same ( request mac address )?
is there now an exit charge by plusnet ( i have both phone and ADSL)
How long does the plusnet e-mail stay active/alive for?
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Sep-12 18:40:04
Print Post

Re: Leaving Plusnet?

[re: Rich_T] [link to this post]

The only reason for an exit charge is if you have a freebie on your account which is less than 12 months old
TalkTalk will say that you don't need a MAC as you would be moving to full LLU but in my opinion it is better to use one to avoid any potential problems
The email stops as soon as the account is closed unless you pay to keep it
The other advantage of requesting a MAC via the freephone number is that Plusnet may offer you a deal to stay

Edited by Oldjim (Thu 13-Sep-12 18:41:46)

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Thu 13-Sep-12 19:55:13
Print Post

Before you leave PlusNet for TalkTalk make sure that you have read up about the service that you would expect from TalkTalk. I have no personal experience, but my parents were with TalkTalk and say that they would not touch them with a barge pole.

David

plusnet Broadband Extra customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Sep-12 20:49:21
Print Post

The problem isn't really getting to TT, but some important advice has already been given about that. The main trouble is getting away from them if you don't want to move to one of the few ISPs that can handle a transfer from full LLU (MPF). It can easily end up with line installation charges and/or full broadband setup charges, depending on who you move to from TT and whether or not the process works.

Plus sometimes a few days or even weeks with no broadband.

The latest example is this thread. Have a good read of the TalkTalk_Support contribution.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 13-Sep-12 23:58:31)

Standard User martinsq
(learned) Thu 13-Sep-12 22:50:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't bother talking to Talk Talk (stupid name..._)
Talk to Plusnet sales, I expect they will have no problem matching TT price if you agree 12mths contract extension.
Regards,
Martin
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Sep-12 15:46:11
Print Post

As matinsq says, try Plusnet first.

Customer Options Team - 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200.

Dennis
plusnet value & talkanytime
Standard User Fens
(member) Fri 14-Sep-12 19:38:22
Print Post

Just my tuppence.
I live in a village with very few options and TalkTalk is the only LLU, I am market 1 too. When it was launched about a year ago TT did a big door to door sales pitch which always started with: Do you want free broadband? Of course I got rid of them, but there are lots of elderly people in this village who perhaps weren't as clued in. I did write to TT to raise my concerns about this tactic btw.

Anyway, I am with Plusnet for 2 year which I have been happy with (soon to be upgraded to 24meg). I have two fairy close neighbours who decided to go for TalkTalk, I don't know about cost differences but they are not happy with the relliability and have had connection problems.

Sorry if I sound like a Plusnet marketer, I assure you I am not and have no interest in them.
Whatever you choose good luck.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Sep-12 23:34:21
Print Post

[re: Fens] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fens:
I have two fairy close neighbours who decided to go for TalkTalk
Really?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-12 13:36:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Easily explained if they are away with the ...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Sep-12 13:43:49
Print Post

[re: Fens] [link to this post]

TalkTalk promoting free broadband has not happened for some years, they do £3.25 deals a fair bit for their LLU. So unless they did a special promotion something is odd

ASA is who you should have written to, as they investigate and make public the findings and can block the same tactics.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to