User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pedum
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-12 00:18:31
Print Post

Plusnet phone price rise

[link to this post]

How can Plusnet justify a 14% rise in the anytime call plan? The monthly line rental charge is also going up by £1. I can not find anywhere that says by how much the annual line rental will go up by but I have been led to believe it will be £12 p.a. If it is this I may well move to Talktalk when my current annual line rental runs out. I have never moved my broadband before so I would be grateful if someone could give me an idea of how long it takes.
If I moved to TT I would go for the essentials package and if I read it correctly I could add anytime calls for £5. Could a TT user please tell me if this includes free caller display or is it an add on as per PN.
I have been very happy with PN but price is a major consideration. I feel that this price rise has been badly handled as I have not had an email to tell me anything and only found out from the PN forum.

Edited by pedum (Sat 15-Sep-12 00:20:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 00:28:10
Print Post

Re: Plusnet phone price rise

[re: pedum] [link to this post]

I suggest asking about TalkTalk at that level of detail, in the Plusnet forum, seems a little unlikely to get useful replies. How many TalkTalk users do you expect to be reading (a) this forum, and (b) of few that may do will read a thread with the Subject "Plusnet phone price rise"?

How about the TalkTalk forum? Even general Broadband Chatter or Which ISP? (Residential) are better places than here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Sat 15-Sep-12 08:40:43
Print Post

How can Plusnet justify a 14% rise in the anytime call plan?

Easy ... Just like BT proper, all these scandalous price rises and connection fees force many to cough up the for the call anytime plan, as just a couple of calls per week cost a fortune if you don't. Like the year up front it is just another cash grab.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Sat 15-Sep-12 09:21:30
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
How can Plusnet justify a 14% rise in the anytime call plan?

Easy ... Just like BT proper, all these scandalous price rises and connection fees force many to cough up the for the call anytime plan, as just a couple of calls per week cost a fortune if you don't. Like the year up front it is just another cash grab.

I do love the uneducated knee jerk reaction over what is in fact a small price rise in reality when expressed as a %'age rise.

If you hadn't noticed the Bank of England has spectaculary failed to keep inflation under control and there are certainly costs to most companies that have been held for a long time now that cannot be absorbed anymore.

Energy prices are where the real problem is, they are very high and are going up year on year by 9-10% and that is a big number with a big percentage rise slapped on top.

The supermarkets also have been putting a huge amount of prices up and yet not an eyelid is batted yet a phone provider who has put line rental up £1 per month gets attacked.

I would expect the rest of the oligarchy to move now with a rise in prices in some shape or form as now 2 providers have announced it.
Standard User flippery
(member) Sat 15-Sep-12 10:20:25
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Whilst it may seem a good idea to save money on transfer to a new provider.A balance needs to be kept of price versus service.
The price rise does not change until January 2013 and, it is unlikely that this is being shown by TT at this time.
I was with TT on a market 1 CN21 exchange, they would not upgrade me from existing CN20.
The peak time performance with TT varied between 0.25 and 1.25 mb on an 6 mb sync.
I am now on a CN21 with a new provider with Peak speeds of 11 mb.
Price, to me, was not the issue, frustration was. paying more but hey service and speed no comparison.
With 170 calls per quarter Anytime worth the cost.
You may find that the TT discount is for 12 months. talk to Plusnet first, many people have been offered reduced payments.

Edited by flippery (Sat 15-Sep-12 11:41:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Sep-12 12:06:42
Print Post

TT callerid was an additional option

As more people make calls within the bundles, then it is to be expected for bundles to go up, i.e. original bundles were perhaps a marketing drive with minimal or no profit, now as millions use them the move is towards making a profit. Not a thesis on plusnet but the market as a whole.

Sky has its pay TV to supplement pricing, but is still putting them up, and TalkTalk is in the land grab with YouView currently.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-12 12:42:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As more people make calls within the bundles, then it is to be expected for bundles to go up, i.e. original bundles were perhaps a marketing drive with minimal or no profit, now as millions use them the move is towards making a profit.

And as has been mentioned before, it only takes 62 minutes of peak time calls to justify spending £4.90 on an anytime calls package. And that calculation ignores the frankly crazy 13.1p "set up fee" (BT pricing, but many other providers are similar).

Essentially, phone companies are pricing out "pay as you go" landline users and forcing them onto packages, or indeed mobile phone contracts.

Oliver.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 15-Sep-12 13:26:16
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
And that calculation ignores the frankly crazy 13.1p "set up fee" (BT pricing, but many other providers are similar).

And you can't really ignore the set-up fee as it is likely to account for around £2 (unless you're a woman, where one call takes up the 62 minutes smile). This modern aberration needs to go, for years it was just a (roughly) 5p minimum call charge, no set-up fee. Why not go back to that - if it needs to be 10p, fair enough, but it's more honest.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-12 14:33:37
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
And you can't really ignore the set-up fee as it is likely to account for around £2 (unless you're a woman, where one call takes up the 62 minutes smile). This modern aberration needs to go, for years it was just a (roughly) 5p minimum call charge, no set-up fee. Why not go back to that - if it needs to be 10p, fair enough, but it's more honest.

I didn't want my calculation to make any assumptions about the number of calls. wink

And I agree, the minimum charge method was much fairer than the current set up fee method. Unfortunately, I can't see them switching back to the old system, since the current system is more profitable.

Oliver.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Sat 15-Sep-12 15:22:53
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

And there will still be suppliers that buy in bulk from BT, but still not charge connection fees or per minute, but still offer calls at 1p per minute

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to