User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User littlepickle
(newbie) Sat 22-Sep-12 16:03:16
Print Post

Second Line Query

[link to this post]

I recently returned back to my parents house living overseas for a couple of years, only to find they have switched all their broadband etc. over to Talk Talk and they are also tied into a long contract. Which is OK for them, but I've never been a fan, and it looks like I'm going to need to use broadband for work.

The query I have is that up until I went away we always had two lines coming into house, parents had a line and I had a line (on BT with Plusnet BB). If I was to sign up with PlusNet would they be able to provide me with broadband and a new phone number on the second (currently not active) line fairly easily. I understand there would be connection charges etc.

Any info would help, thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Sep-12 16:13:31
Print Post

Re: Second Line Query

[re: littlepickle] [link to this post]

Any provider can provide a 2nd line independently of the 1st.

It may be that the 2nd line just needs activating and retains its no., possibly at no or minimal cost.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(newbie) Sat 22-Sep-12 16:22:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

It's been a while since the line was deactivated.

I assume I would place the order under using the property does not have a current line basis and take it from there. My only concern was in case of any confusion that may arise with there already being a line registered at the same address.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Sep-12 16:27:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by littlepickle:
I assume I would place the order under using the property does not have a current line basis
Why? You are allowed to have as many lines as you like as long as you can pay for them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 16:30:43
Print Post

Who's name was the second line in before? I wonder if using the same would make it easier, or there may be no problem anyway. I assume it would be better in your name.

Also, whatever you find out, I believe Plusnet operate the "SIM Provide" system, whereby you can get the line and broadband installed on the same day. So follow that up as well. Means you won't be able to get cashback of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-12 21:15:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think the cashback deals (eg 30 quid for getting a Primus line on Saver Plus with a rental of 8.25/month or 99/year) and 38 quid for PN Broadband (and an extra 10 quid cost for the line, as Primus charges 59 for a new line, PN 49 for same) don't really compare with the half price broadband on top of line rental that might apply (assuming a simultaneous provide is possible and still gives the user their discounts)... the annual line rental at 9.50/month has to be done online, so it really does make you wonder if PN's system will cope with offering a new line, annual rental in advance, and half price for the BB (or rather, it makes me wonder if it'd work!)

It'd be possible to get a line from Primus with monthly line rental at 8.25/month, installation cost 59 quid (and Quidco offers 30 quid cashback for someone signing up for a monthly prepaid landline, which is what the Primus Saver Plus is, so half the cost of getting the line could be saved, but the broadband from PlusNet, despite a 38 quid cashback, could end up costing more in the first year, but would be less in subsequent years).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

1996? Enterprise (IoM 0345) + Clara.net
1998? Clara.net + Freeserve

2000 Freeserve 500kbps (+ Clara dial-up + Clara USENET/Mail)
2002 ? Eclipse 500 kbps + FS
2003 ? UKFSN 1000 kbps + Eclipse
2005 ? PlusNet 8 Mbps+ Eclipse
moved home - used office BB
2008 Three dongle at home
2010 PlusNet 2 Mbps + Three dongle
2012 PN 10 Mbps + Three (ZTE 802.11 router) + Three mobile (802.11 hotspot)
2013 PN 30? Mbps + VM 30+? Mbps + Three mobile
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 20:03:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I had a call from Plusnet today, after I queried a couple of things with them via the contact form. I'm now sure I'm going to go ahead with the new line (I would have to treat it as a new line rather than a stopped line) and I know that it won't affect the Talk Talk line. In fact Jamie (Plusnet rep) was ready to sign me up there and then! Trouble was I was stuck on the shop floor at work so didn't have any details to hand. I'm now waiting for a call back from Jamie on Tues AM (day off) to get it sorted. I know I could do it online but might as well do it via phone to ensure everything goes through.

Just out of interest, has anyone had experience of time scale for a new line order, the 'handbook' says 1 week. I assume it's mainly a case of getting an Openreach engineer appointment for the install.

Edited by littlepickle (Fri 05-Oct-12 20:04:28)

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Fri 05-Oct-12 20:16:20
Print Post

If you want, you can pm me the address and i can check if the previous line shows as stopped, timescales for reactivation or new line etc smile

If its a new line it could take up to 8 weeks at present as openreach are very behind in most areas right now due to bad weather and lack of engineering resource.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.

Edited by Adsl24 (Fri 05-Oct-12 20:17:52)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 21:55:15
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Thanks James will PM you info. I'll also take a look at ASDL24 too.

Luckily I'm in Norfolk which I don't think is one of the areas affected by the MBORC delays.
Standard User Lorian
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 22:29:14
Print Post

£28 cachback on plusnet for signing up though Quidco.

Edited by Lorian (Fri 05-Oct-12 22:30:02)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to