User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User garbageguy
(regular) Tue 02-Oct-12 12:24:23
Print Post

Plusnet Fibre install question

[link to this post]

Im thinking of joining their Fibre plus as I can get 59mb/20mb, currently with O2 at 4.5mb. Phone is with Primus
I currently run a cat5 cable from the master socket with adsl faceplate with filter built in through a wall into the lounge and under a carpet about 9 meters to a BT socket next to my pc to plug my router into,The cat5 has the end cut off and is fitted to a BT socket at this end. ( BT engineer did it for me a few years ago.when I had speed issues ) There is no power socket near the master phone socket in the hall.

Would the BT engineer be able to move the master socket from the hall into the lounge when he/she comes to install fibre? I think I read somewhere they can put an extension in included in the installation .
I do have a ordinary phone extension in the lounge, but thought I would get better speeds using the master or would he just put an adsl faceplate on the extension I have in the lounge ?
Thanks for any assistance.

O2 Upto 8mb @

Edited by garbageguy (Tue 02-Oct-12 12:26:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Oct-12 12:50:21
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre install question

[re: garbageguy] [link to this post]

The modem has to be close to the master, (ordinary ADSL cable distance), unless it is at the end of the (up to) 30metre data extension cable.

If you get a cooperative engineer he will resite the master to the lounge, using your "hidden" Cat5. (Unless it is obviously under the carpet, I wouldn't tell him. Or do you mean it goes round the skirting under the carpet, not where you walk on it?)

The data extension cable he can fit is going to be visible.

You will need two power sockets in the lounge. One for the modem, one for your router. Your router connects to the modem with a normal ethernet cable. These can be up to 100 metres long.

He might even be willing to use your existing filtered faceplate in the lounge instead of the much uglier interstitial standard supply. Several posters have managed this. Or you can swap them afterwards, as long as you don't let him walk away with or bin it!

He may want to wall-mount the modem. It isn't compulsory, but is the Openreach recommendation. Up to you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 02-Oct-12 12:52:19)

Standard User garbageguy
(regular) Tue 02-Oct-12 13:15:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The cat5 is under the carpet and the Mrs doesnt like the route i took with it as its causing the carpet to rise, also in the hall the master socket is by the front door, so the cable runs under the rough mat you wipe your feet on, (its the only place to route it) so is gonna wear out with all the walking on it, Thanks for the info

Would the 30M ethenet extension be outside the house or run inside, easiest route would be outside wink

O2 Upto 8mb @

Edited by garbageguy (Tue 02-Oct-12 14:33:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:30:08
Print Post

I believe it can be outside.

Edit - might even re-route the incoming wire? Is it from a pole? (Mind you, that's pobably worse for speed than the data extension. But only fractionally).

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 02-Oct-12 15:31:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Oct-12 18:30:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am not so sure on the outside, as outdoor ethernet cabling is not meant to be used indoors, due to chemicals given off during a fire.

The internal cables will be fine for a couple of years, but the outer insulation will go brittle in the sunlight.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User garbageguy
(regular) Tue 02-Oct-12 20:08:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah its from a pole. Really needs the master socket re routing from the outside as it would be hard going over doorways and around rooms wink
Thanks
Oh whilst im on...the 250GB limit , does that include uploads ? I use P2P and on a good month use just over 100GB, but with sharing back, that could affect the limits .

O2 Upto 8mb
Serviio to Sony BDP s570
Palicomp i5 3570K 4.5Ghz, Powercolor HD 7850 Graphics.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 02-Oct-12 20:24:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by garbageguy:
Oh whilst im on...the 250GB limit , does that include uploads ?

Yes, it does. Midnight to 8am is unlimited for both downloads and uploads.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User garbageguy
(regular) Tue 02-Oct-12 20:30:51
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thanks Kevin.

O2 Upto 8mb
Serviio to Sony BDP s570
Palicomp i5 3570K 4.5Ghz, Powercolor HD 7850 Graphics.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Oct-12 21:48:17
Print Post

I'm pretty sure Zarjaz posted a while ago either that it is suitable for indoors or outdoors, or they have one for each. I'll see if I can find it.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Oct-12 22:00:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I am not so sure on the outside, as outdoor ethernet cabling is not meant to be used indoors, due to chemicals given off during a fire.

The internal cables will be fine for a couple of years, but the outer insulation will go brittle in the sunlight.
Link re external data extension kit. As you say, it is a different cable. But it can be done.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to