User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 06-Oct-12 10:12:18
Print Post

v. slow upload

[link to this post]

Not sure whether I should be raising a ticket about this, or whether the problem's almost certain to be at my end. I'm on the "up to 8 Mbps" product (not fibre).

I've got normal download speeds (normal for this line, that is) of almost 4 Mbps, but woeful upload. TBB's speedtester is reporting it at just 61.09 Kbps. As usual, I don't have a spare router to just switch in and test. I've tried rebooting the router, but that didn't fix it.

I know upload isn't supposed to be as fast as download, but it surely shouldn't be as bad as this. It's impacting the browsing experience.

I've had a few phases of this recently, but eventually it seemed to fix itself. This latest phase has lasted at least a couple of days, and is getting to be a real pain, though.

I know, if I raise a ticket, I'm going to get: "Try another router", but I don't just have one lying around, and there isn't anyone I can just borrow from. Is it likely to be my router, or is there a more common explanation for this?

T.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Oct-12 10:39:01
Print Post

Re: v. slow upload

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

What are the router reported stats - noise margin, speeds and attenuation.
if you are on 21CN run the BT speedtest diagnostic version and see if the upstream IP profile is odd
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 06-Oct-12 11:02:08
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Here are the router stats. I see I'm getting a very high number of FEC errors, but according to this ancient thread from these forums, that ought not to be critical (besides, they are shown on download, which is the bit NOT giving me a problem). The attenuation has always been this bad (it's a v. long line), so that is not a new development, and unlikely to be the source of the problem.

Uptime: 0 days, 0:58:30

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Channel mode: Interleave

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,076 / 5,024

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,024

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 21.39

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 49.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 6.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 987,831

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5

I can't remember whether I'm on 21CN or not, and don't know how to check...

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Oct-12 11:18:32
Print Post

You are almost certainly still on 20CN
Regarding the FEC result - like you I am surprised at the high number in under an hour which would tend to indicate a problem
Given that the router resynched recently that may have fixed the problem
Can you run another speed test and see what the upstream speed is.
Have you tried the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2 and are there any crackles on the line
This is from my monitoring and shows what can happen to the upstream speed when there is noise on the line and my attenuation figures are 50/25

Thu 04 Oct 2012 17:05:04 Rx-Noise=5.3 Tx-Noise=9.0 Rx-Sync=4960 Tx-Sync=448
Thu 04 Oct 2012 17:15:04 Rx-Noise=4.8 Tx-Noise=1.0 Rx-Sync=4576 Tx-Sync=64
Thu 04 Oct 2012 17:25:04 Rx-Noise=5.1 Tx-Noise=23.0 Rx-Sync=4928 Tx-Sync=448

One other thing which may be relevant - your upstream attenuation is a little high given the downstream attenuation
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 06-Oct-12 11:41:18
Print Post

No, the "resync" was me manually rebooting it - it hasn't fixed the problem at all.

TBB's speedtest is showing 122.66 Kbps upload, which I suppose is a very slight improvement, but still nothing like the speed it should be, I don't think, and hasn't made any noticeable difference to what it's like to use.

I don't know what to do about upstream attenuation. I'm already plugged directly into the master socket. There are no extensions. The only other thing plugged in is the phone. I can't remember if upstream attenuation has always been high. I know downstream always has been about 49dB, which means there's been no change for the worse there.

Tried the quiet line test: no obvious noise or crackles on the line (haven't noticed any during recent voice calls either).

T.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Oct-12 11:54:36
Print Post

In which case raising a fault may be the next step although BT normally refuse to accept low upstream speeds as a fault
One other thing - are you sure that there isn't any other activity hitting your upstream usage such as a P2P application
One way of checking that is to start the computer in safe mode with networking and try a speed test - this would also rule out any other programs mucking up the result
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 06-Oct-12 12:03:29
Print Post

I don't use P2P at all, so there's nothing of that nature. I do run SETI, which uploads periodically, but NOT all the time - certainly not frequently enough to cause an ongoing problem. It might hog the connection for a few moments every few hours.

Pretty sure it's nothing on the computer at all. There's nothing new I've installed lately, or suddenly started using in a different way.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 12:40:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

I can't remember whether I'm on 21CN or not, and don't know how to check...

T.

992.1 is ADSL

992.3 is ADSL2

992.5 is ADSL2+

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Oct-12 12:47:20
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

and you can have any of them on 21CN
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 14:25:05
Print Post

Re: v. slow upload *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS