User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 01:15:00
Print Post

Activating Business VoIP?!?

[link to this post]

I signed my father up with Plusnet on the Business Broadband Option 2 plan last week and finally got the router hooked up earlier this evening.

Now I want to setup the VoIP option that we are supposed to get with the plan (360 min's) but I can't for the life of me find where to activate this on the Members screen.

Can somebody please point me to where I can get the VoIP activated please before I go :crazy:!!

In addition to the above, I am also looking to get a standalone VoIP phone for my father to use (standalone as he won't have a permanent PC present at the business). Must be relatively easy to use for a 56yr old to understand laugh

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Oct-12 08:52:35
Print Post

Re: Activating Business VoIP?!?

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yaz:
Must be relatively easy to use for a 56yr old to understand laugh
You cheeky blighter tongue . Wait till you're 60, and review that.
I signed my father up with Plusnet on the Business Broadband Option 2 plan last week and finally got the router hooked up earlier this evening.

Now I want to setup the VoIP option that we are supposed to get with the plan (360 min's) but I can't for the life of me find where to activate this on the Members screen.

Can somebody please point me to where I can get the VoIP activated please before I go :crazy:!!

In addition to the above, I am also looking to get a standalone VoIP phone for my father to use (standalone as he won't have a permanent PC present at the business).
More seriously, cart and horse?

Is the phone for the business? If so, what's going to happen when there is a power cut? Even a simple fuse blown, as at 56 he is clearly incapable of fixing a fuse.

He appears to be running a sucessful business, with a landline phone at the moment. I suggest that is best for the business. However I suppose the VOIP idea may be to provide a second line, for ringing out or private business, so as not to engage the landline. In which case I apologise and withdraw my comment.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Fri 12-Oct-12 09:00:49
Print Post

Hi there,

Sorry about that - not sure why the option to add the PAYG VoIP isn't showing there. Once you've logged in and clicked 'phone calls' at the top the option to buy VoIP is shown though on following that link there's no way to add the PAYG service. We've raised a problem on that.

In the mean time if you raise a ticket on that account at http://contactus.plus.net our business support team will add this for you, it should activate within 24 hours or so.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 10:14:07
Print Post

Must be relatively easy to use for a 56yr old to understand laugh

Ouch! Few things annoy me more than the "computing for the over 50s" books. It's got very little to do with age. I am well into my 50s, have used computers for most of my life and even did computers at school!

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Oct-12 10:32:45
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Ouch! Few things annoy me more than the "computing for the over 50s" books. It's got very little to do with age. I am well into my 50s, have used computers for most of my life and even did computers at school!

Funnily enough, people seem far more happy to be labelled as "dummies", given the popularity of the "for dummies" books. smile

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Oct-12 10:37:44
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

A few of us at school built a binary adding machine, using three-way switches below a row of lights. That was in the 1950s.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Oct-12 10:39:32
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Yes. The "dummy" books are excellent, and anything but dummy.

Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 22:41:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You cheeky blighter tongue . Wait till you're 60, and review that.

This will probably come back to haunt me laugh.

I mean no offence to the older wiser generation wink. My dad isn't exactly computer savvy and I even though he has had a laptop for coming up to 10 years, I need to find something that is easy for him to get to grips with.

More seriously, cart and horse?

Is the phone for the business? If so, what's going to happen when there is a power cut? Even a simple fuse blown, as at 56 he is clearly incapable of fixing a fuse.

He appears to be running a sucessful business, with a landline phone at the moment. I suggest that is best for the business. However I suppose the VOIP idea may be to provide a second line, for ringing out or private business, so as not to engage the landline. In which case I apologise and withdraw my comment.

To clarify, I'm thinking that if we are paying/have 360 inclusive minutes then why not use them. The landline is still with XLN telecom *spit* and he doesn't have any inclusive minutes/talk package. By using the inclusive minutes over VoIP then it should save him a few quid on the landline calls. He will still have his landline for incoming calls and obviously for the DSL service.

vFast Ltd
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 22:47:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry guys if I touched a nerve wink.

I've got to admit I hold no stereo types against older people and technology. A friend of a friend's gran is quite the techno wiz when it comes to running things. Then again, I think my dad is closer to the 'blinking VCR time display' end of the spectrum. Still, he's my dad and I wouldn't swap him laugh.

vFast Ltd
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Oct-12 22:57:32
Print Post

Sorry guys if I touched a nerve wink.
You didn't! smile. I was just making fun of you and an unguarded remark.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to