User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-12 19:28:45
Print Post

from MAAF to plusnet

[link to this post]

A mate of mine is with Mad as a fish and looking at going with plusnet Fibre in December or when they eventually get the cabinet sorted.

Anyway, since MAAF is plusnet, in fact even his bill comes from Plusnet he is wondering how easy it is to change. I presume he will have to change to plusnet ADSL service first or could he just go straight to fibre?

Also what router do plusnet use?

thanks people

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 13-Oct-12 22:59:36
Print Post

Re: from MAAF to plusnet

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I know the process of going from MAAF to Plusnet is a trivial one - there's been a thread on Plusnet's own forums about it.

As for whether he needs to swap ADSL first, or go direct to fibre, is probably a question that only PN can answer for themselves. Is he planning on taking the phone service from Plusnet too, or just the broadband? I don't think it makes odds either way, but it is another aspect to consider.

The router is the technicolor TG582N. The one used for fibre, IIRC, has a special firmware to turn one of the LAN ports into a WAN PPPoE port.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 13-Oct-12 23:28:31
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
The router is the technicolor TG582N. The one used for fibre, IIRC, has a special firmware to turn one of the LAN ports into a WAN PPPoE port.
That's on Extra Fibre. On Value Fibre 40/2 it was a WNR1000 N150. I don't know if they changed that when they went to 40/10. Out of date info. (Maybe it was when the 40/2 became 40/10).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 13-Oct-12 23:53:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 13-Oct-12 23:38:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's on Extra Fibre. On Value Fibre 40/2 it was a WNR1000 N150. I don't know if they changed that when they went to 40/10.

Really? That's not highlighted on this page (or the one for the fibre+calls packages). The popup displayed by the "How it's installed" link mentions the Technicolor without qualification.

I got a WNR1000 when I converted, 18 months ago. We've also tried out the Zxyel 10 months ago, but didn't like that at all. I thought they had since swapped to technicolors, without a package difference.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 13-Oct-12 23:46:34
Print Post

I got the Netgear in Feb this year.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 13-Oct-12 23:51:50
Print Post

Looks like you're right smile.

The Netgear is now in the "Older hardware - Archive" section linked to on this page.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 13-Oct-12 23:59:08
Print Post

That's quite a list of obsolete equipment!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-12 09:22:08
Print Post

I know the process of going from MAAF to Plusnet is a trivial one - there's been a thread on Plusnet's own forums about it.

cheers.

We worked out yesterday that plusnet is cheap than MAAF on ADSLL and offer more or less the same which is strange,.

As for whether he needs to swap ADSL first, or go direct to fibre, is probably a question that only PN can answer for themselves. Is he planning on taking the phone service from Plusnet too, or just the broadband? I don't think it makes odds either way, but it is another aspect to consider.

He will have to get hold of them, it is the same call centre anyway, thankfully in the UK.

It just be broadband. a couple of weeks back we was trying to work out what was best for him. He is with BT for phone and at the time we did not realise that Plusnet did fibre only without phone. so we worked out that going to BT
for both was the best way.

Anyway after i found out from a forum, it could have been TB that plusnet also do FTTC as a single option we decided to have a look at the options again and worked out that he would be better off staying with Bt for phone and changing to plusnet for fibre.

So another fudge just like sky and talk talk routers.

Maybe he be better to buy his own, a TP-link would do fine or a netgear.

thanks anyway

Adrian

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 14-Oct-12 09:29:15
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
It just be broadband. a couple of weeks back we was trying to work out what was best for him. He is with BT for phone and at the time we did not realise that Plusnet did fibre only without phone. so we worked out that going to BT
for both was the best way.

Anyway after i found out from a forum, it could have been TB that plusnet also do FTTC as a single option
Me.
So another fudge just like sky and talk talk routers.
This is what I use. I prefer it to either of the routers from Plusnet that I have. It's the only one that will give me 150Mbps wireless rather than 65Mbps.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 14-Oct-12 09:32:34)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-12 11:40:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Me.

Ah yes, so it was.

Well, you may have saved him some money, the only thing he is not happy about is the £25 activation fee if he went for ADSL broadband to start with.

Best to have a chat with them and since he is already with them but as MAAF, I should think they could forgo that fee, certainly since he will be going FTTC with them as soon as BTOR decides to move their back side and get the cabinet working.
Stupid since it got a poster on it saying super fast broadband is here, when clearly it is not.

This is what I use. I prefer it to either of the routers from Plusnet that I have. It's the only one that will give me 150Mbps wireless rather than 65Mbps.

That is cheap for a Buffalo. Wireless wise he will not get the speed as his laptop is is not wireless N, nor is his sons. But the desktop in the sitting room will certainly be ok with it as it is wired.

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to