User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 11:36:10
Print Post

Countdown begins!

[link to this post]

Finally got round to signing up to plusnet this morning Fibre Extra + Anytime calls. I don't like online sign ups, so I had been waiting for a day off to make a call and am now glad that I did.

Extremely polite and helpful sales guy went away and checked the traffic management policy for me (either that or a fag break as he took nearly 10 mins). I wanted to determine the difference between Value with a Pro add on or straight forward Extra Fibre, other than maximum bandwith which is not that important to me as I already receive 38Mpbs.

I was wanting to ensure I pre empted the auto renewal with BT in November. He assured me that BT could not auto renew my contract any longer and that I had to do nothing at all.

Hence countdown begins. I am confident everything will sail through connection wise, but I'm still half expecting some sort of cock up from BT in the billing department. That is the main reason for signing up with Plusnet instead of them.

And BigUp to Nathan in sales. Very helpful, extremely efficient. Well done.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Oct-12 12:25:55
Print Post

Re: Countdown begins!

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

The allowance?

Also, if you are on 38Mbps now, Extra is "up to 80Mbps" sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 13:09:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
I was wanting to ensure I pre empted the auto renewal with BT in November. He assured me that BT could not auto renew my contract any longer and that I had to do nothing at all.

He's right, BT made it so auto-renewing contracts would not auto-renew after last December, because of Ofcom rules.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Oct-12 21:13:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've always liked (before, during and after working there) the way the team operate.

I've also always liked the off peak overnight usage. When fibre comes to me I will be looking at extra for sure.
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Fri 26-Oct-12 13:16:28
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

A few links that might help you to compare products(just for future purposes) and see how our traffic management systems works.

http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/br...
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

I hope they help.

Any questions let me know.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Oct-12 19:52:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The allowance?

250GB if I remember correctly.

Also, if you are on 38Mbps now, Extra is "up to 80Mbps" sync.

And it's funny you should mention it, because I already knew that so didn't notice when he didn't mention it to me on signing up. Then half an hour or so later, he rang back to tell me that he had forgotten to mention the speed increase and I should be in line for 56 Mbps. Excellent service already as far as I'm concerned.

And a BigUp to Aquiss as well for giving me a MAC code without hesitation, within the hour in fact.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Oct-12 20:49:02
Print Post

'Twas a rhetorical question about the allowance. Rather major not to have been mentioned LOL.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Fri 26-Oct-12 22:20:10
Print Post

I moved to PN with the same package as you in September and its been faultless. I am very pleased with the way the it was dealt with. I did an online sign up but had previously pm'd one of the staff through here.
My connection speed has been steadily rising since joining and I am now getting over 5Mb more down speed than with my previous supplier on fibre.

Well done PN smile

Standard User ultra
(experienced) Tue 30-Oct-12 19:01:06
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

I appreciate that traffic can be slowed, and why, but when looking at Extra and Fibre Extra, saw

Level of speed reduction? : 256Kb/s across all traffic types

Now, I know this actually means that you're limiting traffic (peer-to-peer and USENET) to 256 kbps (though the usergroup link suggests 2 Mbps) but it sounds from the word reduction as if that's not the actual speed someone gets for such traffic, but a change from their original speed. Perhaps that needs to be explained with different wording?

Perhaps you can clarify whether one gets 2 Mbps or 256 kbps, and while I'm in a questioning frame of mind, was I mistaken to think the Premium account offered 80 GB/month (though maybe it started at 120 GB/month - the figures are on the usergroup comparison, so again, not directly a PlusNet plc problem).

I only ask about the 120 GB because from memory I think I got 'only' 80 GB before changing at a later date to the 60 GB 'Extra' account. Am looking forward to my exchange getting FTTC and 250 GB a month... have to be careful to stick within 60 GB a month even though I am often up all night!

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

1996? Enterprise (IoM 0345) + Clara.net
1998? Clara.net + Freeserve

2000 Freeserve 500kbps (+ Clara dial-up + Clara USENET/Mail)
2002 ? Eclipse 500 kbps + FS
2003 ? UKFSN 1000 kbps + Eclipse
2005 ? PlusNet 8 Mbps+ Eclipse
moved home - used office BB
2008 Three dongle at home
2010 PlusNet 2 Mbps + Three dongle
2012 PN 10 Mbps + Three (ZTE 802.11 router) + Three mobile (802.11 hotspot)
2013 PN 30? Mbps + VM 30+? Mbps + Three mobile
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 30-Oct-12 20:59:20
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

I don't know where you got the 256kbps from as according to this it is 2Mb between 8 - 10pm and isn't restricted at other times http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/do...
The only time you are limited to 256kbps is if you set an extra spend limit and you have reached the usage limit for your product
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to