User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 02-Nov-12 12:32:09
Print Post

Cost to purchase spare router?

[link to this post]

I just dropped my (Plusnet/Thomson 585) router on the floor, and very nearly killed it!

After a tense few moments, during which it received the last rites, it has made a full recovery, but it made me realise just how dependent I am on it, and that I'd feel truly cut off if it ever didn't work.

I know I could get a cheap spare from anywhere, really, but I just wondered what the going rate is for a Plusnet one, or whether I might even qualify for a replacement model anyway, given that I'm a longstanding customer, and the present one is, from memory, already a few years old.

I've used non-PN routers before (I don't think you originally used to supply one, did you?), but on those rare occasions I've had to fault-find, I've found it a little easier (for both me & CS) when I'm using standard PN kit.

Thanks,

Tina
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Nov-12 12:59:04
Print Post

Re: Cost to purchase spare router?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

If Plusnet wont supply you one free of change then Plusnet branded TG585 v7's are pretty cheap on ebay, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plusnet-Router-brand-new-i... smile
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-12 14:53:00
Print Post

They should provide a long standing customer like yourself with a free replacement router with nothing to pay except the current p&p charge, at the worst frown they might suggest it will only be free if you remain with PN for 12 months once the router is sent out to you.

Edit > for new potential customers:-
We'll supply an easy setup wireless router worth £40 (P&P £4.99) when you sign up for 12 months.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Fri 02-Nov-12 14:55:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Fri 02-Nov-12 14:58:53
Print Post

Hi Tina,

Your previous router is more than a year old so we could certainly provide you one on the usual deferred contract (£40 if you leave within 12 months) if you wish - it'd be best if you called up though or if we could call you, as we'd need to get the security code from your credit card in order to take the £4.99 postage.

Hope that helps, cheers.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-12 18:59:48
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

With that listing charging £5 postage compared to the £4.99 Plusnet charge for the free router they supply (if you stay for a year) it's already too expensive. Also using TR069 it will be registered to another user so whoever buys it is probably going to have trouble!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 02-Nov-12 19:29:37
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Thanks Matthew, will ring & get one sorted. Then I won't be panicking if this one goes on the blink (I'm sure dropping it won't have increased its life-expectancy shocked).

Just one more question: if I were to switch products during the year - but still staying with PN - would this count as breaking the contract, and leave me liable for the £40, or would I be free to switch within the PN range? I only ask because I'm on a legacy product, and haven't reviewed my options for some time. I'm not unhappy with either price, or what I get for it - seems to work OK for me. Which is why I've not rushed to change anything. But if I did feel tempted during the year, would I end up owing for the router?

Thanks,

Tina
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Nov-12 19:51:12
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
With that listing charging £5 postage compared to the £4.99 Plusnet charge for the free router they supply (if you stay for a year) it's already too expensive. Also using TR069 it will be registered to another user so whoever buys it is probably going to have trouble!

Would there be problems with TR069 if one used a brand new, unused router, an example of which I linked to on ebay?

Actually that same seller is also including a used TG585 v7 which might be handy for spares, e.g. the power adapter smile
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 02-Nov-12 20:00:45
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

No discredit to the original poster, who I'm sure was trying to help, but got to agree. Personally, I avoid eBay like the plague - mainly because of horror stories on forums like these, from bargain-hunters who got stung.

Looks like my first idea of Plusnet is the best bet anyway. But if they hadn't been able to help, I'd have bought a basic low-cost router from the high street (anywhere but Comet!) At least if I got it out of the box, and it didn't work, I'd be reasonably confident of getting a refund or replacement. And wouldn't have the hassle of having to parcel it up, and send it back registered post, either.

T.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Nov-12 20:04:48
Print Post

Changing products has no effect on the contract unless of course you go to fibre where you catch a new 18 month tie in
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Nov-12 23:11:17
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I think that on Plusnet's system the serial number will be linked to the original owner's account so as soon as it's plugged in it will try to auto configure.

We've seen someone with an issue on the community forums with a router that was handed on. Even though the new owner's login details were entered it kept reverting. Plusnet had to remove it from their database.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to