User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ismoore999
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 17:15:43
Print Post

using Fibre on an extension socket

[link to this post]

Hi

I was thinking to upgrade to Fibre Plus but one issue I have is that my current master socket is in a rather useless location in the basement and I usually put my router in on the first floor extension on the first floor of the house for better wireless coverage.

These are the only two connections. I had heard that it is possible to use the extension as the master socket rather than the master socket (in fact from my point of view, the current master socket is irrelevent).

Has anyone had this done or does this only apply to BT customers?

Thanks in advance
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Tue 06-Nov-12 17:19:35
Print Post

Re: using Fibre on an extension socket

[re: ismoore999] [link to this post]

Hi there,

When you order fibre there's an option to add an extension kit (for free) to the install. The engineer who comes will then install this anywhere it'll reach - anywhere up to 30M away as the wire travels so you should be able to get it where you need it smile

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Nov-12 17:20:37
Print Post

Home Wiring Solution at install time will allow you to have a 30m extension from the master socket. if you have good twisted pair wiring now then the engineer might repurpose it for you.

How Wiring Solution is available for free to all FTTC providers, they just need to order it when you order service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ismoore999
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 17:35:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I was trying to avoid the extension as I had the cabling from the master socket to the extension nicely put internally in flooring/walls etc. so I was trying to avoid this if I could.

So is this supplied as a modem with an ethernet cable outlet and the extension is simply a long cat 5 cable?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Nov-12 17:51:24
Print Post

The openreach modem links to your router via an ethernet cable, that is just an ethernet cable.

The Home Wiring Solution is about the cable that plugs into the Openreach modem carrying the VDSL signal. If you can locate the modem in the basement, then nothing stopping you using ethernet, homeplugs or other solution to get the ethernet out of the modem to your router upstairs.

If the existing extension cable is good twisted pair cable, then it can be reused, but be aware that the more wiring between cabinet and the openreach modem the slower it will run. 30m can mean a speed drop of a couple of meg.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Wed 07-Nov-12 12:34:08
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

When you order fibre there's an option to add an extension kit (for free) to the install.

I'm guessing you mean that's available on the PN web form... and not on an Openreach form we (end users) don't see...

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...

1996? Enterprise (IoM 0345) + Clara.net
1998? Clara.net + Freeserve

2000 Freeserve 500kbps (+ Clara dial-up + Clara USENET/Mail)
2002 ? Eclipse 500 kbps + FS
2003 ? UKFSN 1000 kbps + Eclipse
2005 ? PlusNet 8 Mbps+ Eclipse
moved home - used office BB
2008 Three dongle at home
2010 PlusNet 2 Mbps + Three dongle
2012 PN 10 Mbps + Three (ZTE 802.11 router) + Three mobile (802.11 hotspot)
2013 PN 30? Mbps + VM 30+? Mbps + Three mobile
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Wed 07-Nov-12 15:42:22
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Yes, you have the option to take the extension kit when signing up for fibre through our site.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ismoore999
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 18:46:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The Home Wiring Solution is about the cable that plugs into the Openreach modem carrying the VDSL signal.

If the existing extension cable is good twisted pair cable, then it can be reused, but be aware that the more wiring between cabinet and the openreach modem the slower it will run. 30m can mean a speed drop of a couple of meg.

Thanks for the good information
Standard User ismoore999
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 19:02:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Oddly enough speed is not my main interest - it is mainly that I keep going over my 60Gb limit or having to jump through hoops to arrange downloads at night etc, that I was interested in the 250GB limit for £19.99 vs £11.49 for 60GB plus £5/5Gb which makes the cost effective. I am actualy happy with my current 10Mb speed, so if using the extenstion was possible I would not have a problem (I think plusnet are indicating about 40Mb speed anyway).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Nov-12 19:35:58
Print Post

So a case of asking engineer in a reasonable way at the time of the install and if they say no, then arrive at a compromise and if that is no good, do a DIY solution to get things working exactly how you want.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to