User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User superspeed
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 20:44:03
Print Post

P2P speed test, for plusnet Extra Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi folks. I would like if some of you on Plusnets Extra Fibre could download a legal torrent file in the link below. Then please tell me what speed your getting. This is so I can see some real world tests on how much plusnets traffic management limits P2P on it's network. Different times of the day and night if you could please.

Unfortunately conflicting information about and this is the only way, so I can decide who to go with. Here is a snap shot I did at 5PM today with my current isp. That is very good for me as for the speed I get.

See this snapshot http://i50.tinypic.com/2wmgbvl.jpg

Link http://ocremix.org/torrents/ Please download the first torrent, or one that is well seeded.

Let it run for a while as it takes time to build up speed. smile

Edited by superspeed (Thu 08-Nov-12 20:56:15)

Standard User superspeed
(learned) Sat 10-Nov-12 12:49:06
Print Post

Re: P2P speed test, for plusnet Extra Fibre

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

Come on. Their must be some plusnetters on fibre that could do a quick test. It's only fair. Somebody on BT has done a test for me, see here. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/f/4177873-p2p-sp...

Other than that, I will have to asume that torrent speed's on plusnet are very poor and worse than BT infinity fibre. Thanks smile

Edited by superspeed (Sat 10-Nov-12 12:51:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Nov-12 12:53:13
Print Post

Its a little like the share world.

Past performance or current performance is not a guarantee of future performance. So picking based on the test results from one or two people is not a great idea.

P2P is in theory so widely used that ISP's own forums should be full of complaints if it was massively slow.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 10-Nov-12 13:52:19
Print Post

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/do...

Plusnet Extra Fibre
12-8am 8am-4pm 4-6pm 6-8pm 8-10pm 10-11pm 11pm-12am
Browsing Line speed
Email Line speed
VoIP Line speed
Peer to peer / Usenet Line speed 2Mb/s Line speed
Plusnet FTP Line speed
External FTP Line speed 2Mb/s Line speed
VPN Line speed
Gaming Line speed
Download sites Line speed
Download servers Line speed
Streaming Line speed
Other Line speed

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 10-Nov-12 14:07:59
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Peer to peer / Usenet Line speed 2Mb/s Line speed

For clarity, and since the post was not table-formatted, the 2Mbps refers to 8-10pm. At all other times it's at line speed. I don't use torrents so can't vouch for it.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sat 10-Nov-12 14:09:31)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 10-Nov-12 14:49:13
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I don't use torrents so can't vouch for it.

Nor me, and from time to time torrent users on Plusnet have complained of slow P2P speeds (e.g. 100k).

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User superspeed
(regular) Sat 10-Nov-12 20:04:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok but it's better than relying on the isp to be honest or an isp that don't have the knowledge, understand.

It's the only thing we have to compair.
Standard User superspeed
(regular) Sat 10-Nov-12 20:07:25
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I see that from another forum while I was looking about but that don't mean PN will stick to it. They even want you to pay extra, to remove the traffic management as some add-on.

http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2005/11/17/the_plusnet_e...

Edited by superspeed (Sat 10-Nov-12 20:14:50)

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 10-Nov-12 20:39:02
Print Post

That's so ancient that you could barely rely on it for the then-new 8Mbps services, let alone the 20Mbps services, and certainly not fibre.

When I first went to fibre, 18 months ago, the speeds were more restricted than they are now (on both extra & value) - and yet you still didn't notice any slowdowns (I don't use P2P much, or News at all nowadays). The current restrictions for Extra are, basically, almost unrestricted.

Yes, the "pro add-on" is an extra, available if you really need it. But the honest truth for fibre users is that there is very little need for it. Advice on Plusnet's own forums is that you should try without the add-on, as you will be unlikely to need it.

So, in the time since that 2005 review, Plusnet have gone both more restrictive and then less restrictive.

Right now I'm not at home, so can't do a test for fibre-extra - only plain-extra on 14Mbps ADSL.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 10-Nov-12 20:47:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by superspeed:
Come on. Their must be some plusnetters on fibre that could do a quick test. It's only fair.

I was going to, but then realised I was away from home, and could only do an ADSL test on plain Extra.

I was a little concerned that your example picture showed you downloading something truly legit - a copy of Knoppix - while the site you linked to was for music, and was most certainly not obviously legit (even if you asserted it was).

Other than that, I will have to asume that torrent speed's on plusnet are very poor and worse than BT infinity fibre. Thanks smile

That's hard to tell. Plusnet publish their policy for P2P, while BT don't.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to