User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User timl
(member) Fri 09-Nov-12 15:13:30
Print Post

Moving be Plus.Net FTTC from BeThere/O2 ADSL2+

[link to this post]

I know a lot of people chose to come to Plus.net from Be hence asking the question in this forum.

I currently have my phone service and broadband with Be.

I've obtained my MAC code from BE and given it to Plus.net who've given me a provisional FTTC installation date within about 14 days. Plus.net say that after that's installed my phone service will be transferred about 14 days after that.

That all seems pretty straightforward. But BE are confusing me and I need your advice with whats best.

BE tell me if I give them 30 days notice I'll owe them nothing. I don't seem to be able to do that because Plus.net are installing FTTC in 14 days! So they say I will have to pay £40 approx for an express cancellation charge. They also say that they will keep on charging me until I cancel the service.

I want as small an interruption as possible. So because I can't use their 30 day service I should cancel BE on the day the FTTC is provided by Plus.net or should I cancel now? Or cancel after everything is moved. I really don't know what to do for the best!

Help! smile

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 15:29:40
Print Post

Re: Moving be Plus.Net FTTC from BeThere/O2 ADSL2+

[re: timl] [link to this post]

Unfortunately be unlimited have to be different to others, when you requested your MAC code you also have to cancel the service ,Getting a MAC code doesn't trigger cancellation , So request your MAC and tell them that you wish to cancel during the same call, then the 30- days notice starts, you can migrate at any time during the 30days, but you would have to pay for the next 30 days regardless

So step one double check with gaining isp for any delays with migration/installation
Then contact Be unlimited Request your MAC and cancel (give 30days notice) you then give your MAC to the gaining ISP and arrange a date for migration

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 09-Nov-12 16:10:27)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 21:51:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by timl:
I've obtained my MAC code from BE

BE normally start a 30 day cancellation period when a MAC is requested. Did that not happen? Best to check with them. Make it very clear in all communications that you are migrating.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User timl
(member) Sun 11-Nov-12 10:06:09
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Well I obtained my MAC code and gave it to the gaining operator. I have an install date set for FTTC. Yesterday I got this from Be. So it looks like they know I've cancelled?

I've transferred both to Plusnet the FTTC gets connected first then followed two weeks later by the telephone service...

We're really sorry you've decided to not have broadband with us anymore.

So that you don't get cut off, and your new broadband continues to work, you'll need to order your landline from a new supplier. The last day you can do this will be 29/11/2012. Your BE landline will stop on 09/12/2012.

If you're still in a contract for your broadband service with us, we'll add the charges for leaving early to your bill. If you change your mind, all is forgiven, and we'd love to have you back!

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 11-Nov-12 10:32:45
Print Post

Looking good smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User timl
(member) Sun 11-Nov-12 11:13:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's a relief. I think I'll follow the advice on your really helpful page and on complete migration I'll phone my BE up and confirm cancellation. Seems like they might be there already though.

On a related subject when you got FTTC did you sync right away at 53.5/15.2Mbps or did it adjust itself up from the original estimate?

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 11-Nov-12 12:33:38
Print Post

It was in the days of 40/10, and my estimate was something like 29/8. It sync'ed straight up at 40/10, and when I upgraded to 80/20 it went up to 59/17.7, but within four days was down to 57.5/15.2.

Moves around its current figures - I've updated my sig every time I've noticed. The BTW estimator is showing:-

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 51.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 13.2Mbps.

Hope that helps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User timl
(member) Sun 11-Nov-12 13:01:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. It is helpful.

Now have to wait until FTTC is installed to see how accurate my speed estimate is...

Thanks
Tim

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 11-Nov-12 17:02:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by timl:
did it adjust itself up from the original estimate?

FTTC generally adjusts down, not up, if it is going to, and takes no account of the estimate anyway!

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sun 11-Nov-12 17:03:24)

Standard User timl
(member) Sun 11-Nov-12 17:38:28
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

My FTTC speed estimate is a little below what I would have expected given the distance between CAB and my house so I'm pleased they might be a little conservative.

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to