User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bgriffiths
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 11:23:45
Print Post

FTTP availability

[link to this post]

If there's a PN rep passing by could they please help with an FTTP question?

I have had a response from Customer Services re FTTP as follows:
Thanks for getting in touch, FTTP is a product that we are looking to invest in, in the future. So, at the moment we don't have any speed or prices for you, but watch this space!

I know that PN FTTP is still in trials so the General CS team may not be fully clued up. Question is if I were to migrate in to PN ADSL service is there a guaranteed upgrade available to the FTTP trial? If so what are the speeds/prices, and does the trial include yet an equivalent to BT's 160/20 offering? I can't seem to get any details from the PN website as access is restricted to PN customers
Thanks in advance

Brian

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Nov-12 12:53:44
Print Post

Re: FTTP availability

[re: bgriffiths] [link to this post]

There isn't a guaranteed upgrade route as it is still a trial and the latest information I could find was http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1079... which doesn't help you
Standard User bgriffiths
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 13:42:44
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

I know that thread well wink Those two guys are on the same exchange as me - they are both PN customers and even they can't get a definitive answer!

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Mon 12-Nov-12 17:06:29
Print Post

Hi,

We're still running FTTP as a trial, at the moment we've not set a launch date for the product. The pricing, usage and speed options we have are the same as our FTTC products.

Plusnet Value Fibre up to 38Mbps - £16.49 per month

Setup charge - free
Speed - up to 38Mbps down, up to 9.5Mbps up
Contract - no change to your existing contract period
Usage - 40GB (between 8am and midnight), unlimited overnight (midnight to 8am)
Router - free 3 port wireless

This product is the same as our FTTC Value Fibre product only with FTTP.

Plusnet Extra Fibre up to 76Mbps - £19.99 per month

Setup charge - free
Speed - up to 76Mbps down, up to 19.5Mbps up
Contract - no change to your existing contract period
Usage - 250GB (between 8am and midnight), unlimited overnight (midnight to 8am)
Router - free 3 port wireless

This product is the same as our FTTC Extra Fibre product only with FTTP.

The only real complication is that you have to be a Plusnet ADSL customer to take part in the trial (you can sign up for broadband and then immediately ask to take part in the trial via http://trials.plus.net).

If FTTP is available and you are happy with the Ts & Cs, prices etc. then there's no reason you can't have FTTP unless for any reason they can't actually install it for some reason.

We've not got an equivalent to BT's 160Mbps product at the moment, we may look at faster than 76Mbps when we launch a full product, but like I say we've not set a date for that yet.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bgriffiths
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 17:33:10
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply Dave

Looks interesting, my current ISP charges a fairly hefty premium for FTTP against the equivalent FTTC product. 80/20 should keep me happy for the near future, with the prospect of higher speed in due course.

I will go and have a good read of the T&Cs now

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Nov-12 18:29:30
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

Does the free setup require the line rental to be moved to Plusnet, as it does for FTTC? Or does the trial make that unnecessary.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 13-Nov-12 02:31:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The free setup charge "almost certainly" doesn't require moving the phone line to Plusnet.

I say that as, in previous trials (like the FTTC one), the setup has been free without any hitches - and PN usually want to actively entice people into the trial. The terms for this trial seem to be no different.

They're also usually quite good at the end of a trial, about transferring you from the trial package onto the commercial terms. There isn't normally any setup charge, nor a contract lock-in.

The current catch-phrase of "We'll do you proud" does indeed show in their attitude to trial customers.
Standard User bgriffiths
(committed) Wed 21-Nov-12 12:12:34
Print Post

Well for better or worse I am on my way to PN; then all I need to do is wait for the great god BT to get its act together in the village and finish fibre-ing everything up

Brian

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to