User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User StuB
(committed) Fri 16-Nov-12 12:05:06
Print Post

Who to speak to if the fibre checker says no?

[link to this post]

A friend of mine lives on a farm and has an awful broadband connection (135kbps last time I looked).

His phone line has crackled and last year BT changed half the wiring on his driveway and this week they've changed the other half (the drive is about 1km long).

They've recently installed fttc at the green cabinet near to him that we think he's connected to and he keeps getting flyers from BT to say it's available but when he tries to sign up BT say they can't supply it and are not supplying it to his road.

Is this likely to be a case of a computer not updated properly or because the wiring in his road is poor?

Is there anyone who he can speak to who can perform other manual checks?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Nov-12 12:51:45
Print Post

Re: Who to speak to if the fibre checker says no?

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

BT Retail runs a filter and only installs its Infinity in areas where speeds are good. Other providers buying via BT Wholesale or Openreach don't do this.

So it is a case of asking other providers what does the BT wholesale checker at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html say for the line, only check using the telephone number

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Fri 16-Nov-12 13:16:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If I check the line using the wholesale checker on the link you provided then it gives the result below and there is no mention of fibre.

For Telephone Number *********** on Exchange HILLSIDE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 1Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Fibre is not listed on either the plusnet or sky checker either and we're fairly sure (though not 100%) that his line is connected to a green box which has a fibre cabinet next to it.

He'd be happy with just some form of increase even if it was nothing like the normal fibre speeds that people get, he gets really annoyed when he uses my connection which downloads at 74mbps compared to his 0.135mbps.

Edited by StuB (Fri 16-Nov-12 13:21:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Fri 16-Nov-12 13:24:01
Print Post

However, the checker does seem to indicate that he should be doing a heck of a lot better than 135k on ADSL. The results (apart from the fibre) are identical to mine and I used to get 3-4 meg.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User StuB
(committed) Fri 16-Nov-12 13:28:41
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I hoped it would be better too and occasionally he'll get a whole 0.5mbps.

As mentioned they've just replaced 0.5km of the wiring on his drive this week which has cured a noisy phone problem that had recently started so maybe in a few days DLM will increase the levels to something more respectable.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 17-Nov-12 12:15:49
Print Post

While ADSL has limitations of around 5km from the exchange, FTTC has limitations around 1500m - 2km from the cabinet.

This means that a cabinet-based solution is best for all those who have short distances from the cabinet and long distances from the exchange.

FTTC works well for the majority because, on average, people are less than 500 metres from the cabinet (and very few are over 1000 metres away) while, on average, they are over 3km from the exchange.

VDSL2, the protocol used in the cabinet, is best suited for distances below 1000 metres, and starts to run out of steam anywhere between 1200 and 1800 metres, depending on the quality of the cable, its size, and the joints. I think we've seen 1 person on here with a distance of 1900 metres who struggled with the upstream speed (yes - it does seem to be limited first by the upstream speed dropping to zero).

Unfortunately, if your neighbour's drive alone is 1000 metres, he's already getting into dubious territory - and that's without considering the distance from the drive to the cabinet.

What is the distance from drive to cabinet?
Standard User StuB
(committed) Sat 17-Nov-12 14:50:19
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I was going from memory of when I last went to his place and I think I've got my measurements quite wrong here and now I've just looked on a map the driveway is much shorter than I thought and it's only about 300-400m long.

The total distance to the green cabinet including the driveway looks to be 1000m assuming it goes via the simple route by road which would surprise me if it didn't so maybe there is hope yet for VDSL.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Nov-12 16:28:41
Print Post

I would be spending time to find out the router stats, and trying to get a better speed from the ADSL service.

A fixed speed of 1 Mbps from checker implies >42dB and <60dB attenuation, which worst case should give a 2 Mbps sync really if it was a 60dB line (or more for many).

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User StuB
(committed) Sat 17-Nov-12 16:35:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm going to pop and see him next week so will try and take a look at the stats and will report back.
  Print Thread

Jump to