User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 18-Nov-12 15:40:08
Print Post

More about plusnet and questions ect ect

[link to this post]

Right I have some more questions and things to say, so will post here instead of making two or three separate threads.

Yesterday I posted here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/f/4181037... and asked about flashing the TG582n router, as I was planing to buy my own version and not buy one from plusnet.

I have now found out that it's compulsory to have a router from plusnet if you go for fibre. frown Well I'm not to happy about that and paying £40 for a brick. Lol.

16. Will I need a new router?
Yes. A wireless fibre router is supplied (P&P £4.99) with all fibre packages. We'll make sure it arrives before or on your installation day.
We strongly recommend using the router we supply. However, if you're an experienced Internet user you can try using your own router if you'd prefer, but please note:
•It's not possible to order fibre optic broadband without our router•The majority of current broadband routers won't work with fibre broadband
https://portal.plus.net/residential/faqs.shtml#newRo...

While I was searching answers to my other thread. I found this.
The 582n is not a fibre router - it is an ADSL (2+) modem/router/wifi-AP. So they must supply a different one for fibre connections.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p...

So the TG582n is not really ment for fibre but is a ADSL2+ router. I already have two ADSL2+ routers and don't want to pay £40 for another one. This also could have implications on speed as it don't do VDSL. No gigabit ethernet either.

Could a plusnet rep please confirm if you take plusnet fiber you get the tg582n or a diffrent version?

Anway You have no choice but to have the supplied modified/bodged ADSL2+ router. Could plusnet please make it optional or at least get a descent full VDSL complaint router. smile

Now If I get fibre installed I want to check that no problems will be had. My router is right next to the phone socket so should not be a problem but I use a 10M ethernet cable to connect to my computer as it's over the other side of the room. I don't have any problems with this setup and is much better than a telephone extension wire.

Wll BT openreach have any issues with this? I hope not as all is well and the only way. Moving the socket is not and option unless openreach is prepared to run a decent extension and box, closer to my computer. Think that is worse than a 10M ethernet cable.

Thats all folks, for now. Will post if I have any more questions or things to say. wink smile

Edited by superspeed (Sun 18-Nov-12 19:16:32)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sun 18-Nov-12 15:44:26
Print Post

Re: More about plusnet and questions ect ect

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/techn...

BT Openreach modem + Technicolor 582n router.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 18-Nov-12 16:55:35
Print Post

The TG582 can operate as an Ethernet router, hence the pages someone linked to.

Plusnet CANNOT supply a full VDSL router (i.e. dispense with Openreach modem) as no wires-only service is available at this time.

I don't see the problem with paying the £4.99 delivery for a device that is worth £40. You only pay £40 if you leave within 12 months.

A little googling suggest the Ethernet mode (re-purposing of LAN port 4) is a standard feature of the router.

Plusnet is very much a low priced service, and part of that is achieved by using standard hardware etc makes support easier. If you want and need a more bespoke solution there are other providers of course, just like buying clothes, take the ready made or opt for a tailored approach.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bgriffiths
(committed) Sun 18-Nov-12 17:49:38
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Well the way I see it (and I'm thinking of moving to PN for the FTTP trial) is that I take the PN supplied router, set it up in accordance with their instructions, make sure the service works, then disconnect it, put it in my "spares bin" and swap in my Billion router. If I get any problems and need to contact CS I simply swap back the PN router so we can all follow the faults script

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Nov-12 17:50:51
Print Post

Again you seem to have the wrong end of the stick.

The TG582n can equally be used as an Ethernet router, cutting out its ADSL modem. Do you honestly believe that PN would be supplying it for their Fibre packages if it didn't work on Fibre? The Fibre modem is supplied by OR.

You don't pay £40 for it. It is free bar the £4.99 P&P.

Methinks you doth protest too much about PN. You are constantly finding spurious faults with it w/out actually being a customer. If you don't want to go there, then don't. I am getting browned off with your constant verbose carping about them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 18-Nov-12 18:03:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Methinks you doth protest too much about PN. You are constantly finding spurious faults with it w/out actually being a customer. If you don't want to go there, then don't. I am getting browned off with your constant verbose carping about them.

It is getting rather tedious, isn't it? It's beginning to sound like someone else who will never be happy with any ISP and will keep asking the same questions over and over despite getting loads of help from ISP reps and other users.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 18-Nov-12 18:06:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by superspeed:
Now If I get fibre installed I want to check that no problems will be had. My router is right next to the phone socket so should not be a problem but I use a 10M ethernet cable to connect to my computer as it's over the other side of the room. I don't have any problems with this setup and is much better than a telephone extension wire.

Wll BT openreach have any issues with this? I hope not as all is well and the only way. Moving the socket is not and option unless openreach is prepared to run a decent extension and box, closer to my computer. Think that is worse than a 10M ethernet cable.

No, they will not care two hoots about it, that is perfectly normal and acceptable as minimal research here and elsewhere would have told you. Ethernet (Cat5) is fine up to 100m. You can have Ethernet runs of this length between your computer and the router and between the router and the modem.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sun 18-Nov-12 18:08:26)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 18-Nov-12 18:28:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am a potential customer and am allowed to question or ask questions, if you don't like that, then don't reply to me or get off my thread. smile Your not even a plusnet customer yourself. All you do is moan like and old man about what I say, since I got here. Same to kevin as I said above. Thank you very much.

See this so I don't keep repeating myself
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4179643-r...

Edited by superspeed (Sun 18-Nov-12 18:31:59)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 18-Nov-12 18:30:55
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thank you, a more constructive comment from yourself. I had to check as I did not want to end up with a bill for no service.

Edited by superspeed (Sun 18-Nov-12 18:31:18)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 18-Nov-12 18:42:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You are correct Mr Saffron that it would be free after 12 months but that is assuming, I get the service I require. I am a little concerned about the amount of unhappy new customers on the PN forum at the moment. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?board=49.0

I don't have a problem with £4.99 but plusnet FORCE you to have their £40 brick ADSL+2 router.

40 quid is a lot of money for a bogstandard ADSL+2 router when I could put that towards some thing like this. http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

Thats the point I am trying to make. I also could of bought one for about £10 off ebay and even amazon is cheaper for a generic version with free P&P.

The router also has poor reviews, so to me, is not worth £40 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technicolour-TG582n-Port-Wir...

Plusnet is very much a low priced service, and part of that is achieved by using standard hardware etc makes support easier. If you want and need a more bespoke solution there are other providers of course, just like buying clothes, take the ready made or opt for a tailored approach.

Are you saying I will get a low priced service as well then? wink

Edited by superspeed (Sun 18-Nov-12 19:13:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to