User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 22-Nov-12 15:36:53
Print Post

plusnet first day + training FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi got my plusnet activated today i know they have a 10 day training so speed can go up and down a bit.

But so far my speeds have not gone past 40/2 im meant to be on the 80/20 fibre extra on my other FTTC connection i was at full speed straight away (70/23) so even with a training period id of expected closer the top end.

So do plusnet put you on 40/2 to start with and then slowly increase or do you think theyve put me on the wrong package?

Aslo on a side note has anyone got the instructions to unlock the modems ive got the instructions for the huawei but theyve given me a ECI one

Thanks for any advice ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 22-Nov-12 16:13:02
Print Post

Re: plusnet first day + training FTTC

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Hi got my plusnet activated today i know they have a 10 day training so speed can go up and down a bit.
Twaddle.
But so far my speeds have not gone past 40/2 im meant to be on the 80/20 fibre extra on my other FTTC connection i was at full speed straight away (70/23) so even with a training period id of expected closer the top end.

So do plusnet put you on 40/2 to start with and then slowly increase or do you think theyve put me on the wrong package?
Check your pacakge in your Member Centre and/or Call support. They don't even have a 40/2 product now, although Openreach do. I hope you haven't been repeatedly restarting the modem!.
Aslo on a side note has anyone got the instructions to unlock the modems ive got the instructions for the huawei but theyve given me a ECI one
The ECI one used to need opening up and mucking about with a soldering iron. Check here for updates to that info.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 22-Nov-12 16:21:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Twaddle.

Check your pacakge in your Member Centre and/or Call support. They don't even have a 40/2 product now, although Openreach do. I hope you haven't been repeatedly restarting the modem!.
The ECI one used to need opening up and mucking about with a soldering iron. Check here for updates to that info.

Hi

ive only turned it off once to plug my zyxel router in to check the sync speed its syncing at 3999/2000 (the zyxel is locked to LBO so will sync but no were to put plusnet user in to authenticate) except that 1 time its been pluged in used TBB, speedtest.net and JD auto speedtest app and all speedtests are all round the 38/1.80 mark (presuming over heads), Just in a que on plusnet support line now so ill see what they say

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Nov-12 16:33:13
Print Post

Are you on Value Fibre or Extra Fibre
If on Value then it should be 40/10 but may be set wrong as it used to be 40/2
If, however you are on Extra Fibre then someone has screwed up royally
Either way I have flagged it up in the Plusnet Forums as it may get picked up quicker that way
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 22-Nov-12 16:35:36
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
Are you on Value Fibre or Extra Fibre
If on Value then it should be 40/10 but may be set wrong as it used to be 40/2
If, however you are on Extra Fibre then someone has screwed up royally
Either way I have flagged it up in the Plusnet Forums as it may get picked up quicker that way

Hi

Im on fibre extra i finally got threw to support after been on hold 15 mins just got off the phone a moment ago he said something on there end was stopping it and hes sent a reset or something or another, said ive to watch out in the next 15 mins for my modem/router resetting and i should get more closer to the speed of my other FTTC connection :/ so will see how things go

Ash

ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Fri 23-Nov-12 09:06:42
Print Post

Hi there,

Please do let us know how it goes, if that doesn't help please drop one of us PN reps a PM on here with your username and we'll take a look and see if we can sort it.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 23-Nov-12 14:35:16
Print Post

i know they have a 10 day training so speed can go up and down a bit.

That's a myth, and applies only to ADSL packages (via BT).

For FTTC, the modem starts out as fast as it possibly can, tempered only by the distance to the cabinet (and the quality of the copper pair), with a ceiling placed by the package you have bought.

One synchronised, DLM monitors the connection. If it needs to intervene in an emergency (because of dire connectivity) it will, but I haven't seen this happen yet. If it needs to intervene because of "middling" errors seen on the line, it will do so after 24-48 hours. Intervention at this point is invariably to slow the speed down or to add interleaving (which tends to slow the line down anyway). I've never seen it increase the speed of a line in these first 48 hours.

For almost all people, that is the end of it. The line will stay this way for a long period.

For some people, this first intervention isn't enough to fix the connection - and the process will continue over the next few days. I've seen this happen on a handful of occasions.

After this, DLM monitors forever. If the line encounters a temporary problem, DLM will again intervene. In this case, it will usually trigger a resync next morning (between 4AM and 8AM). When the temporary problem has gone, DLM will remove (or reduce) the intervention level between 2 and 4 weeks later.

ISPs have no way to interfere or alter this process. The whole DLM process *can* be reset - but only by being regraded (to a new speed package) or when an Openreach engineer attends to investigate a fault.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 24-Nov-12 13:49:00
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orbrey:
Hi there,

Please do let us know how it goes, if that doesn't help please drop one of us PN reps a PM on here with your username and we'll take a look and see if we can sort it.

just had an email

The following comment was added to the Question
Dear Mr Laister,
I have now placed an order to upgrade your broadband service to FTTC 80/20 and this will complete on 26/11/2012.

Broadband order reference: 1-14042XXXXXX

The speed will stabilize over the 10 days following the upgrade, so please allow this time to pass if your new connection speed is initially slower than expected.

If there is anything else that we can help with then please do not hesitate to get back in touch. You can reply to this ticket through the Member Center or you can call us on 0800 432 0200.

Kind regards,

Christopher Green

so will wait till Monday to see how tings go

another odd thing my IP seams to change every time i open speedtest.net ive had 15+ IIP's in 2 days (and that's only what ive noticed) is this normal for plusnet?

Ash

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Nov-12 14:39:20
Print Post

another odd thing my IP seams to change every time i open speedtest.net ive had 15+ IIP's in 2 days (and that's only what ive noticed) is this normal for plusnet?
Why? Are you paying for a Static IP? If not, it can could change every reconnection.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 24-Nov-12 15:01:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Why? Are you paying for a Static IP? If not, it can could change every reconnection.

no not got a static ip yet, just with every isp ive ever been with the IP never changes that quick usually quite sticky lol not a problem just found it odd that it changes so much

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - Speed To be seen
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to