User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(member) Mon 26-Nov-12 16:02:30
Print Post

Engineer didn't turn up, how long now?

[link to this post]

So i ordered plusnet FTTC when the offer of 3 months for £5 came up about the 9th of November. The install date was due on friday the 23rd of november but the engineer never turned up. Phoned plusnet afterwards and they couldn't contact their suppliers so couldn't tell me why he didn't turn up.

They asked what days this week someone would be available for the engineer and put it through on special, so told them Monday-Wednesday and they said they would contact me either over the weekend or on monday to arrange another day.

After no contact I called them to ask, they said there is another day arranged but have to wait 24 hours for it to appear on the system before they can tell me what that day is.

I've had an email from though cancelling my order for the new phone line which was which was due on the 7th of december. This is because it has to be done after the broadband. Which makes me think the new installed date will be after the 7th.

Not a great start.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 26-Nov-12 16:52:10
Print Post

Re: Engineer didn't turn up, how long now?

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm sorry about how that's happened. If you could drop me a PM with your username or a ticket ID on there I'll be able to take a look at your account and see if there's anything we can do to bring it forward at all?

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Corbula
(member) Wed 05-Dec-12 16:40:31
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Well it's all been installed now, it was installed on Monday and everything seems to be going ok.

When the engineer turned up and told him the situation he connected the modem to the dsl cable that i was already using. The dsl cable goes around the room and to the old router, it's about 10m in length he said it would be fine and plugged the modem straight in. From what people were telling me on here a while ago suggested they wouldn't use one that i already had at that length and would insist on using their own.

Anyway, how long does it take for the speed to settle down, i want to change the plusnet router for my own but wanted to leave it until it was settled down.

Also just used the BT speedchecker and says:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 71.29 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.9Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

What do you think of the current speed in relation to the IP profile, is that likely to change for a few days?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Dec-12 17:24:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Corbula:
Well it's all been installed now, it was installed on Monday and everything seems to be going ok.
Looks that way smile.
When the engineer turned up and told him the situation he connected the modem to the dsl cable that i was already using. The dsl cable goes around the room and to the old router, it's about 10m in length he said it would be fine and plugged the modem straight in. From what people were telling me on here a while ago suggested they wouldn't use one that i already had at that length and would insist on using their own.
It's the length that matters. Was he real Openreach or a contractor?

Anyway, it probably doesn't matter for you at the moment, as you are connecting at the full 80Mbps. It might do in the future when speeds go up again.
Anyway, how long does it take for the speed to settle down, i want to change the plusnet router for my own but wanted to leave it until it was settled down.
Tuesday midnight. So you are basically OK now. Don't forget the Openreach DLM runs for ever, it's just more sensitive in that first two days.

Do you mean just replacing the router, or replacing that and the modem with a modem/router?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Corbula
(member) Wed 05-Dec-12 17:51:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think he was real Openreach, i assumed everyone who does FTTC installs were.

I was just wondering about the download speed being 71mb when my ip profile is 77mb. I'm only about 300ft from the cabinet.

Could that be the time of the day? the dsl cable? the router maybe? or is that about right for the distance?

I meant replace just the plusnet router that they supply not the modem. Don't see why you would replace the modem. But the router i want to replace with the router i was using before, it's a adsl router and cable.

He's my lovely new BQM, my old Virgin ADSL one was about 40 for the minimum, with the average regularly higher.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/51e2b6480b6...

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Dec-12 21:05:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Corbula:
I think he was real Openreach, i assumed everyone who does FTTC installs were.
A high number aren't. All the new recruits - a few thousand in total I reckon, (so minimally trained), are on FTTC installs, plus at least two contractor firms - Kelly and Quinn.
I was just wondering about the download speed being 71mb when my ip profile is 77mb. I'm only about 300ft from the cabinet.
Your download connection speed is 80Mbps as I said. Your IP Profile is perfect. Check your Plusnet "Current line speed", it should be 77Mbps. Distance from the cabinet affects connection speed, not the transmission speed.
Could that be the time of the day? the dsl cable? the router maybe or is that about right for the distance??
Yes, yes, yes, irrelevant.
Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 05-Dec-12 22:24:25)

Standard User Corbula
(member) Sun 09-Dec-12 16:28:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So I've changed the router back to my old router (Linksys X2000) and it initially seems to be pretty similar. The wireless signal seems worse which is surprising because it was always pretty good and it seems worse now than it was before we had fibre.

Anyway the only settings i've put in the router are the user (email) for the internet connection and the password. Are there any other settings that I need to make sure are correct? I've looked on the plusnet website but couldn't find anything.

I did a speed test at speedtester.bt and on the old router earlier today it was 72mbps and it's 51mbps but i'm putting that down to the time of day, hopefully.

Print Thread

Jump to