User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lenseman
(experienced) Sat 01-Dec-12 15:45:43
Print Post

Slow Download speeds

[link to this post]

Over the last twelve months I have been annoyed by the slow throughput of my broadband.

Although my router is syncing at 9.524 down and 888 up my throughput is often as low as 0.01 down and 0.05 up.This is an intermittant problem, when its good it good but a lot of the time it is unusable.

I have been in contact with Plusnet many times over the last year but they do not appear to be able to rectify the problem. eventually after almost eleven months I have had the engineer attend, he checked the line and found no faults with either the line or my equipment apart from the fact the router was not performing to its full capacity, He also fitted a new ADSL socket, a few days later I installed a replacement router and for a few weeks everything was fine. This morning however we are back to the same problem, it doesnt appear to be either time or weather related, so I am again going through the familiar routine of ticket tennis and the exchange of accusations between Plusnet and the BT or whatever name they use that particular day.

My patiance as now almost come to an end, I am actually thinking of leaving ADSL altogether and moving to mobile broadband which is the only reliable connection I have had over the last twelve months. I have been with Plusnet over eight years through good times and bad, but the service over the last twelve months has become unpredictable and at times totally unusable. If I knew for certain it was down to Plusnet I would not hesitate in leaving, but if it is something else wherever I go it will be the same, I just need an honest answer.

Is anyone else suffering from this reduction in speed?

John B.

Plusnet Extra

Speed Down Could be anything on ADSL2+ (21CN)
Speed erratic

Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Dec-12 16:39:45
Print Post

Re: Slow Download speeds

[re: lenseman] [link to this post]

Connected wired or wirelessly to the router? Wireless not being leached?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-12 18:12:15
Print Post

[re: lenseman] [link to this post]

What does the BT speed test say for the IP Profile and what;'s the current line speed shown on the Plusnet portal.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lenseman
(experienced) Mon 03-Dec-12 08:47:28
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

BT test shows 0.01 mbps down, 0.05 up, the line speed on Plusnet is 8.25

Router is syncing at 9.524 down and 888 up.

these readings are the same on either wired or wireless and almost the same with alternative routers.

this problem is itermittant and unpredictable. Things have almost returned to usual again now, but for how long I dont know.

John B.

Plusnet Extra

Speed Down Could be anything on ADSL2+ (21CN)
Speed erratic

Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints.
  Print Thread

Jump to