User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian_t
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 12:47:55
Print Post

Fibre Installation Fail - 2 PCPs

[link to this post]

Hi,

We're an existing PlusNet customer who ordered an upgrade to Fibre. Last Wednesday we finally have the visit from the Openreach engineer who was initially confused as he'd been given two PCP references.

Cutting a long story short, it appears that the fibre was present at the cabinet nearest to our house (good), but the phone line was present at a wholly different cabinet just under a mile away... (bad)

At this point the engineer states that both need to be present in the same (nearest) cab and therefore, can't complete the installation.

I've got a question open with PlusNet support at the moment but trying this avenue too.

Is it viable to get the phone line moved to the correct cabinet so we can complete the fibre installation? I didn't think it seemed like an unreasonable request but was initially told that the only way would be to pay £50 for a new line, request that it was presented in the correct cab (but there's no guarantees...) and then hopefully go from there? That seemed a little odd to me. Surely there's a process for getting this moved?

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Dec-12 12:57:11
Print Post

Re: Fibre Installation Fail - 2 PCPs

[re: ian_t] [link to this post]

Yuk! What a letdown for you frown.

What does this checker say about your phone number? It seems odd that the OR system accepted the order.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Dec-12 12:57:12
Print Post

if the line is connected to a cabinet that does not have a fibre twin then short of paying a sum much larger than £50 you will not be getting FTTC.

There are questions though as to why the order system let it get to an engineer attending, or whether the engineer has made a mistake, i.e. order system is right and engineer was wrong.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian_t
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 13:02:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, DSL checker looks as I'd expect to be honest:

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 14Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 8Mbps and 18.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 68.8Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."

Daft thing is, I know both PCPs in question have fibre in already, obviously the (incorrect) one with the phone is too far away though.

Short of starting over again as a new customer (so to speak), I've got a horrible feeling I'm not going to get very far?...
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Mon 10-Dec-12 13:03:26
Print Post

Really sorry to hear about your disappointing experience.

I'd like to look into this for you before commenting on this so please feel free to drop me a private message with your username and I'll have a look into that for you.

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ian_t
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 13:06:20
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

Thanks Adam, I'll PM you the details
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Dec-12 13:19:25
Print Post

The speed estimate suggests Openreach believe the line to be served by a cabinet that is well under 500m away, more like 200m.

If both cabinets have fibre, then not sure why the engineer did not enable it, unless the cabinet he thought it was connected to was about 2km away

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Dec-12 13:22:05
Print Post

wouldn't that require a new copper line to be run from the CAB to the premises as there isn't a connection at present
Standard User ian_t
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 13:31:40
Print Post

Yup, I'd agree - I can see the right cab from my house - it's probably 125m away, 150m at most. Are PCP refs any use to anyone as I have those too.
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Mon 10-Dec-12 13:43:28
Print Post

I've just replied to ticket 61458750 for you. I'm going to look into there being any possibility of us being able to specify a specific cabinet as part of the order for a new line. If this is possible.

If it is we'd be happy to waive the installation fee for a new line but let me see if this is possible first.

Adam.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to